UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2009, 6:25 pm   #1
mike65ie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can anyone give me a review of the ITT/KB Tiny Super?

We had one of these when I was a nipper and have been thinking about trying to get hold of one but are they actualy any good?
Old 20th Feb 2009, 7:47 pm   #2
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Can anyone give me a review of the ITT/KB Tiny Super?

ITT/KB are top quality, so yes they are worth getting.

Regards

Geof
Old 20th Feb 2009, 7:54 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Default Re: Can anyone give me a review of the ITT/KB Tiny Super?

I think there were several different models that used this name, just as with the Polo and other ITT radios, so make sure you get the one you want.

The Tiny was the bottom model in the ITT range so you shouldn't expect miracles, but they were decent mid-market radios and are very usable today.

Paul
Old 20th Feb 2009, 8:56 pm   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

As said by the others, these were good quality mid range little radios which did sound surprisingly good for their size. I would safely say that their performance both audio and RF hold up well against many a more modern radio.
Old 20th Feb 2009, 9:10 pm   #5
mike65ie
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers, this is the model in question.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/itt_tiny_super.html
Old 20th Feb 2009, 10:56 pm   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Very nice little sets, reliable and nicely presented.

They should be easy enough to find, boot fairs and e-bay would be good places to look.

The usual problems are likely to be corrosion following leakage from batteries left in when the sets was "retired" and damage due to wear and tear - they are a very portable set after all.

Good luck, I hope you manage to find a nice one.

Regards,
Old 21st Feb 2009, 2:29 am   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I bought one of these brand new for the sole purpose of listening to VHF transmissions that were, err.... 'officially discouraged' then as they are now. I recall that this model would do what I wanted, whereas many others of the time would not.

Once the novelty wore off I used the radio in a more general sense and I remember it was nicely presented, to use Brian's words, and it performed very well. Sound quality wasn't too tinny either, especially considering it's relatively small size

I also recall having a carrying case for it too, in finest quality padded plastic, but I can't remember if it came complete with that or if it was an extra.

It gave me many many years of trouble-free service and only got chucked out when it was accidentally dropped and suffered cabinet damage as a result.

So that's my experience of this model; neat, convenient size, reliable and very reasonable sound quality - for its time anyway.
Old 21st Feb 2009, 12:48 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Hello Mike,

I have a small collection of ITT transistor radios built in the 1970s including a mint Tiny 109B which I bought for 99p, and it is superb !

For the UK (and no doubt the Irish) market, these radios were usually Taiwan built Schaub-Laurenz designed sets, indeed the examples with a Schaub-Laurenz badge were built in Germany. Considering how well the sets in my collection work, I reckon the quality of the Taiwan built sets was just as good as the German built sets.

Howard
Old 21st Feb 2009, 3:48 pm   #9
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Can anyone give me a review of the ITT/KB Tiny Super?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
It gave me many many years of trouble-free service and only got chucked out when it was accidentally dropped and suffered cabinet damage as a result.
tut tut, could have been used for spares

I once borrowed an ITT portable stereo radio-recorder and was surprised how detailed the recordings made where for a portable, just as good as a mains unit. I also had a in-between job, which I sometimes wish was still my main job, of working as a driver for ITT, getting around in a brand new Bedford TK pantechnican delivering electrical bits and pieces.

Geof
Old 21st Feb 2009, 10:04 pm   #10
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi,
My parents bought me one in 1974. From what I rememember it gave good sound quality for what it was. Mine was LW/MW/ VHF. It had a "dead spot" on the volume control but wasn't a problem. It died around 1981 and unfortunately was thrown away. By then I had grown to dislike the then current music and listened to records instead. I have an ITT KB brochure which I think shows these sets, I'll see if I can post some pics.
Cheers, Des.
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 12:36 am   #11
mike65ie
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers for all the feedback.
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 4:39 pm   #12
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi,
This is what I have, not sure if it's of any interest. They are from a brochure dated 1971.
Cheers,
Des.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0019.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	23318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0020.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	23319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0021.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	23320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0022.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	23321  
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 5:04 pm   #13
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Interesting literature there Des, nice to see it. It's perhaps interesting to note than when describing their models ITT would put VHF first. For example VHF, M, L whereas wavebands were more usually quoted like L/M/VHF (or FM).

Despite my praising of the Tiny Super earlier in this thread I always think this and other models in the range had a look of Fidelity about them. That's perhaps more so as time has marched on. In fairness though, the styling (especially the imitation-wood grille) was all the rage at that time and even Grundig used it at one point.
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 5:21 pm   #14
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
Despite my praising of the Tiny Super earlier in this thread I always think this and other models in the range had a look of Fidelity about them. That's perhaps more so as time has marched on. In fairness though, the styling (especially the imitation-wood grille) was all the rage at that time and even Grundig used it at one point.
Yes, this style was hugely popular for a few years around 1970. I have a Bush Sandpiper from then which is a direct equivalent of an ITT Tiny, and it has the fake wood grille too. I think we tend to associate it with Fidelity because they carried on using it after other manufacturers had moved on.

The Grundig YB210 was available in two different styles, one having the fake wood and the other having a metal grille.

Paul
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 6:11 pm   #15
Tim
Dekatron

I have a Tiny 33(repairs MIGHT still be in Sucess stories) in regular use as my work radio. They do indeed sound good and have adequate volume for a set running from 4 AA batteries. Mine only tunes to 104 on VHF though, but as I normally only listen to Radio 2 and 4 this isn't an issue.
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 7:55 pm   #16
llama
Octode

I bought one in 1972 (might have been a 33) and I think it still goes well. I'll just mention a couple of possible weaknesses to look out for, though maybe I was rough with mine.

The raised black plastic running down each side of the metal bar of the handle can break away. The other problem I had was the white moulded plastic that forms the back of the dial and holds the dial-cord pulleys broke. I was fortunate in working with STC at the time and their stores-guy found me one.

Graham
Closed Thread