UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2009, 1:00 am   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Hacker Silver Knight; feet or turntable?

As the title suggests, I have encountered a simple bit of confusion regarding an unimportant detail of the sweet-sounding Hacker with the stereo decoder.

Some time ago, I bought one. The set was the first example of its type that I'd ever met in the flesh so, when its cabinet turned out to be fitted with the turntable, rather than the feet of the similar Black Knight, I naturally assumed that this was correct for the model (a later one with a built-in mains PSU).

Earlier today, during a quick search for Silver Knight info of an even more trivial nature, I happened upon some images of an example that had the feet as per Black Knight.

Now, as the cabinet with the turntable underneath is completely covered in black, I feel that it's safe to assume that my set hasn't been rebuilt into a Sovereign 3 cabinet. There are no screw holes, nor any evidence of covered ones, and obviously the turntable isn't necessary for an FM-only set.

So, Silver Knight owners; do I need to remove the spinning device and hide evidence of its having been on there? Does anyone here have one with this, rather than the little feet?

My apologies for the insignificant nature of this question in the grand scheme of things, but when I get a nagging doubt into my mind, I have to find an answer!
Old 5th Feb 2009, 2:36 am   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Silver Knight; feet or turntable?

Hello John,

There are four feet rather than a turntable on my Silver Knight - I think they all have the mains p.s.u. - and I don't doubt that was the usual configuration, which does make your set a bit of a mystery! Dismantling of the cabinet as I recall is fairly straightforward, even removal of the side cheeks, so it seems possible that yours has been built into a Sov. III cabinet but with the cheeks exchanged: a tad unlikely, granted, but then the only other obvious explanation would be a mistake or quirky decision at the factory. So I don't know... Either way, I suspect that if my Silver Knight did have a turntable I'd probably just leave it there - if it doesn't serve much of a purpose it seems at least fairly harmless, and I doubt the evidence could be completely hidden without re-covering the cabinet. And now I'm remembering an explanation offered once for the turntable on WFBF Roberts sets, that the blind owner's attempts to locate his radio would be more likely thanks to the turntable to send it harmlessly spinning than to dash it to the floor...

Paul
Old 5th Feb 2009, 9:59 am   #3
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hello John,
Just out of curiosity I checked my Silver Knight, It has the little feet as usual.

Yours seems an oddity but my own inclination would be to leave the turntable. As Paul says it would be hard to remove it and hide all signs of it's presence. Adding the turntable as a modification is not very difficult so perhaps this is what happened. If in fact it was a Wireless for the Blind set you might see signs of their transfer on the back of the case.
Old 5th Feb 2009, 4:49 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Hello chaps. Well, if it is a modification, then it's a very good one since there are no signs of any filled holes or recovering of the bottom of the set to hide evidence of the little feet.

Mine doesn't have the tell-tale sticky patch on the back where the WFB people would have placed their logo sticker, and the ends, floor, front and rear panels of the cabinet just look "right" somehow, by which I mean that, where there has been a panel removed, recovered or replaced, I can usually spot at least some signs of its having been manipulated.

Oh well, I really ought to do my worrying over things that actually matter in Global terms. This doesn't, but I'd love to hear of another set that appears as below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toshipye trimming knob.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	22922