UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2020, 1:04 am   #1
martin.m
Hexode

Default Fidelity VCR 4000 repair

This model dates from the early 1990s so perhaps not exactly vintage. The machine has sentimental value as it belonged to my wife's mother who passed away some 20 years ago. It was taken out of service in the early 2000s and stored in our loft. Now the VCR would not switch on and there was no clock display. The power supply on this model is on the main circuit board and a few voltage checks showed that all the secondary voltages were very low. Blasting with a hair dryer didn't improve matters either. Back in the TV repair trade days I would have just changed the seven electrolytic capacitors in the power supply circuit. However, not having many low voltage high value caps, I decided to remove and check them all with my Chinese component tester. All were given a clean bill of health apart from C1017 (330uF 16v), which showed a very high ESR. Fitting a new 470 25v brought the VCR to life again and the old girl produced excellent pictures and sound. VCRs seem hard to come by these days. They are long gone from the charity shops and no one sells them on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace any more. I intend to keep a look out for a few at car boot sales this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fidelity VCR 4000.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	200651   Click image for larger version

Name:	VCR power supply.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	200652  
Old 11th Mar 2020, 8:58 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Fidelity VCR 4000 repair

Well done, it's nice to bring something of sentimental value back to life again, even if it's a cheap and cheerful basic video.

BTW, our "pile it high and sell it cheap" charity shop here in Didcot still has videos of all ages on a fairly regular basis. I even saw an Amstrad Double Decker in there a few weeks ago.

N.

P.S. If you want a couple of Hitachi VT-11E from about 1982, just let me know and they're yours.
Old 11th Mar 2020, 9:12 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Great news on the fix.
Wonder who made this one? Orion? Funai? Sanyo? Aiwa? The mech would probably give it away...
Old 11th Mar 2020, 9:24 am   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Fairly sure that's an Orion.
Closed Thread