UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2019, 10:20 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default MW DX Reception

Maybe this could be added to the existing thread of the same title.

I have had some correspondence from a guy in Germany regarding a low power, 3 watt, MW TX they operate on a Campus located in Erlangen Germany, using 1476kHz AM. They have been receiving reception reports from Sweden.
See below;

As you might know here in Germany all stations broadcasting on long-, medium, and shortwave had been switched off in the recent years. Now we have no AM anymore, only FM and DAB+. But AM is the only modulation which is easy to understand in particular for young people who do not have a high technical background. So my idea was to implement an AM-radio on medium wave were you easily can teach young people who like to know how radio works. Furthermore, MW makes it easy to build up simple receivers. Later on we plan kind of workshops with the youngsters.

In Germany you need too licenses: One for the frequency (this is the easier part) but another one for the program you send (media license (?) in German it is called “Medienlizenz). This is more difficult to get. Since there was already a Campus radio here in Tennenlohe/Erlangen transmitting on SW 15.785 MHz in DRM and on DAB+ we just added the MW-frequency in the license agreement. So I got the license very cheap.

Normally I send 24h/7d except some interruptions for technical maintenance. From 4 am to 11pm UTC I send the “Funklust” (Campusmedien) program worked out by students and from 11 pm to 4 am UTC I send the OCXO synchronized 1 kHz beep (for DX hobbyists). See also

https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/14...derbelebt.html
(unfort. written in German)

So hopefully I answered your question.

regards Ralph

It is unlikely as we still have so much MW usage, but if anyone does manage to pickup this little transmission in the UK please contact me and I will forward your reception report to Ralph.

Mike
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 10:48 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: MW DX Reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
Maybe this could be added to the existing thread of the same title.
Can you post a link to the thread you'd like this merged with please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Feb 2019, 11:41 am   #3
paulsherwin

Default Re: MW DX Reception

There is a hospital radio station in Loughborough which is likely to swamp this station in the UK despite being quite low power itself.

https://www.mwlist.org/mwlist_quick_...rea=1&kHz=1476
Closed Thread