UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2013, 9:20 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Wayne Kerr Autobalance Universal Bridge B642

It makes getting a resistor easier, but then you need a 6 digit DMM to measure it!

If you do a 4 wire Ohms measurement on a 1% metal film resistor before you use it on the B642, and do it again afterwards and get the same result, then you can reasonably assume the resistor wasn't different in the intervening time.

It's easier to hire a precision DMM for a day than to hire a resistance standard.

THe capacitor is still the bugbear. Sometimes 'Sullivan' standard capacitors turn up, but they're usually old and of unknown history.

Sorry
David
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 8:43 pm   #22
Camino1
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to the help of Tim and Woodchips I will soon have the 0,01% resistors and a 0,5% capacitor. A Dutch ham nearby, with the right testequipment will help me to measure with the accuracy that I need.
It is amazing what this Forum can do for you!
I have been looking for General Radio standard capacitors. Price at least $195,- accuracy 0,02%. Does anyone know an alternative? The G.R. capacitors are silver-mica. For long term stabilty and low tempco is teflon a good choise?

Henk
Old 7th Feb 2013, 7:14 pm   #23
Camino1
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Wayne Kerr Autobalance Universal Bridge B642

Today Fred helped me by measuring the resistors and the capacitor. All better than 0,01%!!! Thank you very much for sending them Bob!
The bridge needed no calibration. Well within specs. 0,1%.
Again thanks to all forum members for helping me.

Henk
Old 29th Mar 2015, 7:15 pm   #24
rodppereira
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camino1 View Post
Thank you all for helping me. Special thanks to Bob, Woodchips, who sent me his manual. Colins post was spot on: I will replace all R's with metal-film. Thank you Colin
Hi,

Do you have the B642 manual digitalized?

I acquired this Bridge too and I´m looking for the manual, until now without success. Maybe you can help me!

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
Rodrigo.
Old 31st Mar 2015, 3:11 pm   #25
Camino1
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Rodrigo

Not digitized. I could scan it if you like.

Kind regards

Henk
Old 27th Oct 2017, 9:02 pm   #26
Station X

The operating instructions and a circuit diagram are now available from the BAMA website:-

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/wayne/b642

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Nov 2017, 12:44 pm   #27
J.Stocking
Diode

Hello All,
I am new to this forum having just acquired a Wayne Kerr B642 Bridge in need of TLC.....I have the operating manual and a circuit diagram of the Oscillator but no maintenance or calibration info.
The bridge seems to set up OK except when it comes to setting the FSD on the 'C' meter. Adjusting the ' FSD' control only allows the meter needle to reach about 4 on the scale and the 'Zero' control seems to have very little effect on the 'G' meter. The Oscillator seems to be working OK.
I have no circuit diagram for the Bridge as a whole, only for the oscillator, and so am unable to see what cold be causing the problem.
Any help or ideas would be most welcome and a scan of the relevent circuit diagram ( which I would be willing to pay for) would be wonderful
Thanks & regards
John
Closed Thread