UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2012, 12:11 pm   #1
murphymad
Heptode

Default Table Top Sale and 625 Line Celebrations This Sunday

Hi All,

Just a quick reminder that ther will be a Table Top Sale and also a display of working TV's running at the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum, Dulwich this coming Sunday 15th.

The show kicks off at 11am. Everyone Welcome.
Admission on the door is £5 unless you pre-booked.

There will be refreshments available throughout the day courtesty of Chan and his wife.

You are invited to bring along a working 625 line or 405 line, or dual standard TV to display working as there will be plenty of power and coax leads available.

There will also be an assortment of tables in the Garden selling vintage radio and TV items.

The BVWS Capacitor stall will also be there so you can stock up!

Anyone wishing to book a table at this late stage, just turn up with your goodies and if possible bring a table and pay £10 at the door.

Hope to see you all there, Just turn up on the day.

Mike...
Old 12th Apr 2012, 3:45 pm   #2
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Table Top Sale and 625 Line Celebrations This Sunday

Thanks for this. I might bring my 12" Thorn 1590 or the later 14" Thorn TX90. I would love to come but have never been anywhere near London in the car. How easy is it to find and what is the parking like?
Old 12th Apr 2012, 3:52 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Parking is easy. You'll should have a satnav and/or London A-Z though it's only about half a mile south of the A205 South Circular Road. The approach through London is usually horrible, whichever route you choose. We try not to publish the full address in open forum.
Old 13th Apr 2012, 10:42 pm   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

I'd like to attend this event. What time does it finish? I may not be able to get there for 11am because of other commitments but I should be able to make it by 1pm - will I still be able to see something?
I'm thinking to bring a Sony or a Sinclair black and white pocket CRT TV. Pocket tellies are generally considered impossible to convert to digital and will presumably become museum pieces or landfill after switchover. However I have made a prototype Digital converter for pocket TV (made out of a TVonics MFR-200 digital box and powered by a mobile phone emergency battery pack). It will be interesting to see if it will work. Round here, a pocket-sized rod aerial can't pick up a good enough signal but I reckon it will work in South London, being just a stone's throw from Crystal Palace.
Old 15th Apr 2012, 6:17 pm   #5
martin08
Diode

Many thanks to all who helped put on a superb show of TVs and refreshments, a very enjoyable day.
Old 15th Apr 2012, 8:27 pm   #6

And a big thank you to who gave an impromptu tour of the museum. My pocket digital TV worked there (well it would only being a mile or so from CP) AFTER I retuned it (modern technology etc. grumble grumble) Gerry didn't think much of it though. The coffee and sarnies where most welcome, good weather too.

Old 15th Apr 2012, 8:39 pm   #7
robin coleman
Hexode

As usual, a good show was put on. One of the best events around and always full of friendly faces and helpful advice.

Regards,
Robin.
Old 15th Apr 2012, 10:36 pm   #8
hamid_1
Heptode

A great day out! I arrived soon after 1pm and met a number of old telly enthusiasts, including some forum members. It's nice to put faces to names.

There was quite a collection of TV sets on display, ranging from the pre-war ones in the museum to the 1980s (a Sanyo colour portable and the smallest Sony Trinitron CRT set.) I brought along a couple of TVs from the '80s - a Goodmans Quadro 905 TV/Radio/Cassette/Alarm Clock combi, and an analogue Sony Watchman FD-210BE with its strange sideways CRT. This worked with the mini digital box very well, so it will still be portable after switchover. However, I had to run the digital box from the mains. I planned to use a cheap emergency phone charger battery pack as the power source, but this morning when I inserted the batteries, one of the springs broke off. Typical 99p store junk.

Thankyou to everyone who helped organise this event, and especially forum member petertheorgan for giving me an impromptu tour of the museum as well. Afterwards I just had enough time to visit the awesome 1,001 CRT TV display at Baker Street called "End Piece" - a fitting end to a great day.

Although that's just about the end for analogue TV in London, I hope that another vintage TV event like this could be organised in the future. With digital boxes and modulators or even DVDs of vintage programmes, old technology can be brought back to life and enjoyed again.
Old 15th Apr 2012, 10:54 pm   #9
petertheorgan
Hexode

!! blush !!
Old 16th Apr 2012, 12:59 pm   #10
Vicboduk
Hexode

A very enjoyable day. I was able to put a few more faces to forum names, stock up on a few capacitors and listen to the enthusiastic and knowledgeable John recounting stories of his life working with TV’s. This brought back many memories of when I was in the trade 20 plus years ago.
Keep blushing Peter, I too was one of those on your impromptu tour at the end of the day when all else had gone. A big thank you to all who helped make it happen.

Vic
Old 16th Apr 2012, 1:21 pm   #11
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

It was a very interesting day yesterday, met some great people and enjoyed the tour of the museum. The 625 line display was also impressive, especially those small Sinclair sets and the early Sony Trinitron set. I managed to get the tuner working on my Thorn 1590 portable set the night before and it worked well for hours yesterday.

I was puzzled to see many of the sets giving such good analogue pictures either on their loop aerials or with no aerials at all. The mystery was solved when I spotted the masts of Croydon and Crystal Palace towering above the rooftops of the nearby houses.
Old 18th Apr 2012, 4:18 pm   #12
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Here are some photos that I took. Sorry for the quality but they were taken using my old, almost vintage, mobile phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00925.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	65291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00926.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	65292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00928.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	65293   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00932.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	65294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00931.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	65295  

Old 18th Apr 2012, 7:41 pm   #13
audiomagpie
Heptode

What's the set on legs in pic 4? My grandparents had one of these as far back as I can remember (late 60's) 'till they went colour in '74!

Thanks

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 18th Apr 2012, 8:13 pm   #14
petertheorgan
Hexode

Its Mine !

its a KB VV20

It was brought new from Kolster Brands in Foots Cray by my Father in 1962 ( the family business doing some work for them at that time)

It is the set that I have the earliest memories of 625 on ( see other thread) and we watched all of the analogue close down on it
last night in the front room of the Museum (see other thread )

I would love to know if there is another one in existance

Peter
Old 18th Apr 2012, 8:31 pm   #15
audiomagpie
Heptode

Thanks for that Peter, happy memories!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Closed Thread