UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2008, 7:45 pm   #1
Oxide_2008
Triode

Default Metal dial cord replacement-a substitute

Having just taken delivery of a new project-HMV 1407 battery only set. Circa 1948, I have given it a look over.

One of the things noted was the metal dial cord has corroded through.
What is the best type of cord to make a replacement, I am assuming that this metal type cord is no longer available?

Has anyone got any recommended way of removing sulphate crystals from chassis-presumably caused by the LT accumulator venting over time?
I was thinking along the lines of bicarbonate solution, brushed on then rinsed off?

It honestly is not quite as bad as it might sound, the number one job being to sort the 9 or so woodworm holes (must have sat near one of those Cossors!-see other thread).
Old 21st Feb 2008, 8:24 pm   #2
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Metal dial cord replacement-a substitute

I got some braided steel fishing line at a Sunday market that I found useful. It comes in various sizes so it is worth trying a Fishing Tackle shop to see if they can help.
Old 21st Feb 2008, 9:12 pm   #3
Oxide_2008
Triode

Thanks, I did not know metal line was available. I'll check that out.
Old 21st Feb 2008, 9:20 pm   #4
Kilodyne
Retired Dormant Member

DRENNAN 7 STRAND PIKE WIRE 24LB 10.9KG Is a woven Stainless Steel wire & is the same size an type as used on Eddystone's. I have used a number of times to replace dial drive wires on Eddystone's. I bought it a local fishing shop. It was about £3 for 20M.
You could try that.

Dave.
Old 21st Feb 2008, 9:25 pm   #5
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

It is not properly called fishing line but I don't know the technical name. I am sure if you can take a bit for a sample or tell them what you want your problem will be solved.
Old 21st Feb 2008, 9:38 pm   #6
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide_2008 View Post
What is the best type of cord to make a replacement, I am assuming that this metal type cord is no longer available?
If you can't find what you want in the Angling shop try

http://www.radioverzameling.nl/repro/uk/

and see if the tuning wire they have is any use. Look under the Misc. tab second item down.
Old 21st Feb 2008, 9:58 pm   #7
jbraes
Triode

What you should ask for in any angling shop is wire trace. This is a very flexible steel braided wire with a plastic coating. It is normally used for pike fishing etc and available in short lengths or on spools from about 15lbs breaking strain upwards. It can be bent over to form a very small loop. The easiest way to do this is to strip off about an inch, or less, of the plastic coating, fold the wire back on itself, wind on very fine wire to hold the loop together and then a drop of super glue.
Hope this helps.
John.
Closed Thread