UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2008, 7:07 pm   #1
Fray Bentos
Triode

Default KB FB10 Help Needed Please Is It Worth The Work

Hi,

I have obtained an FB10 from my fathers shed !!

It works, crackles on band change, but it needs a good overhaul.

The case has had some paint or other substance accidently sprayed over it which with careful effort starts to come off and the tuning cord has come adrift, however it seems complete. The case has yellowed somewhat.

So, is it worth me spending the money? does anyone have ideas on the price of an overhaul / restoration....how long is a piece of string I suppose!!, rough prices will do and can anyone reccommend anyone willing to have a look to see if its worth it or reccommend a repairer / restorer. Im in Bucks or if not nearby I can post it.

The family had many radios in the past, the bakelite pye, phillips to name a few and they have all dissapeared, so I suppose it would be worth holding on to this one if it was worth it. I have attached a zipped picture (I hope).

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
Attached Files
File Type: zip P1020670.zip (853.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 7:25 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: KB FB10 Help Needed Please Is It Worth The Work

Yes, it is worth doing. Nice little sets these, and quite good when working.

You really shouldn't have switched it on without it being looked at first, luckily you have got away with it. The case you can do yourself, just take care. The tuning cord can be done too. Up top is a panel marked Service Data - your set will be there.

There are several people on here who would do it (not me, worst luck!) but I shall not name anyone. They'll come forward I am sure.

It's a family heirloom so worth more to you than anyone else. You know you want to.

If you're not sure of Electronics, please pass this over. If you want to learn, and good on you if you do, click here...

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...isasembly.html

That site is done by the owner of this message board, and it's well worth a look round.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 7:26 pm   #3
Colin
Heptode

The FB10 is a very well recognised set with an example on display in the V&A I believe.

I would suggest you have the set restored and enjoy it not only as a nice piece of history but also as a wonderful reminder of your family history.

The set looks in reasonable shape and the paint overspray should come off without leaving a mark. The case will clean up nicely. The dial glass looks to be in one piece with the markings intact which is also a good thing.

Electrically theyre not too difficult to sort out and unless new valves or perhaps a transformer are needed the cost will be mainly in terms of time.

They're not the best performers when working, and because of their compact nature they do get hot - they are often referred to as the 'Toaster' - but they are nice sets for all that.

I've restored a number of these and if you can't find anyone local to help please PM me and we could arrange a ''restoration by return of post'' ...

Regards
Colin
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 7:32 pm   #4
Top Cap
Octode

Definitely worth doing up if the case has no serious cracks, a good application of bakerlite polish should remove the paint. PM me for a link to where you can find info for re-stringing the cord drive. There are variants of this radio, the early ones had two large valves (rectifier and output) that were later replaced with smaller equivalents. You will find on this Forum many helpful tips for replacing the wax capacitors etc. Note that this radio employs an auto transformer which means that the chassis could be live if connected to the supply incorrectly. If you are not sure about how to go about repairing then for safety's sake entrust the work to a knowledgeable person. These radios are sought after and can fetch a nice price in good condition.
Les
P.S. I live in Watford if that is any use, happy to look at it for you/

Last edited by Top Cap; 22nd Feb 2008 at 7:42 pm.
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 8:42 pm   #5
ianj
Heptode

I like the Kolster-Brandes gear......................................I have an ER30, K-B's answer to Murphy's baffle board sets--and they sound really powerful and bassy-goes extremely loud! I love them! ianj
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 4:23 pm   #6
Fray Bentos
Triode

Many thanks for all the advice, spot on and very quick.

If its ok I may get in touch with a few of you regarding getting it looked at as I've decided to go ahead and get it pride of place again in the house.

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard
Old 24th Feb 2008, 5:26 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, they are nice little sets....if only for their distinctive appearance.

Remember that, as Les pointed out in his post, they use an autotransformer rather than a 'proper' (isolating) unit.

You may, in time, get caught out by the well-known KB trick of altering designs in mid-production. This thread highlights this quite well.
Old 1st Mar 2008, 9:34 am   #8
RadioMike
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. This is my first post on here and I hope someone can help with my own KB FB10 questions! On inspecting my set I've noted that the back of the speaker cloth is a gorgeous vivid green (although the colouring is a little bit patchy). Would this have been the original colour visible from the front of the radio when it was new back in the early 50's? If so is it considered acceptable to dye the cloth to restore the original vivid colour? Can anyone recommend a suitable base dye? Due to the otherwise good condition of the set I wish to keep it as original as possible so your advice and thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.... Mike.
Closed Thread