UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2008, 1:36 pm   #1
Geoff 555
Heptode

Default McMichael 135 Hums.

Hi I am here again to bother you with further questions. The 135 has a hum problem or to be accurate 2 hums.It has been recapped through out apart from the 8 +8 mf . which I didnt have. I do have a 16 + 16 mf would that be OK? The mains transformer has dropped a little wax, it also seems to be very dry, the covering seems to be almost like old parchment fragile and crisp, it almost crackles if given a gentle squeeze. This may be revellent . Hum number 1 starts as soon as it is switched on, it is like a quiet mains hum that does not increase with the volume turned up. It's difficult to pin point the source as the trany is behind the speakers.
Hum number 2 is a more 'raw' sounding hum (buzz) which is quite loud when tuned to a station but when not on a station goes away. It does increase with volume. After running for 20 minutes the volume decreases to about a quarter of what it would be at full volume. If turned to full volume there is no increase in volume after the first 1/4 of a turn. I hope that makes sense.
Sorry for the long post but I was trying to lay out all the symptoms.
Any help would be most appreciated as always.
Thank you.
Geoff.
Old 26th Feb 2008, 3:25 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: McMichael 135 Hums.

Geoff, replace the 8+8 (it could well be leaky!) with the 16+16 but check the data for the rectifier first just to make sure that it can handle the extra capacitance. The rectifier may have perished anyway if it has had been loaded-up with the extra burden of a faulty cap. Check to see if an RF bypass/modulation hum cap is fitted across the supply after the on/off switch. It may have been removed in the past because of failure, absence of this cap may be causing the tuning hum. If it is still there, replace it.
Neil
Old 26th Feb 2008, 8:46 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Geoff, I'd say the 8-8 capacitor, If you need a replacement I'll dig two out, I think I've got some somewhere. Regards, Josh.
Old 27th Feb 2008, 2:16 am   #4
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello , Neil thank you for the advise as regards the valve data etc. I dont have any and to be honest wouldnt know what to do if I had. If someone could explain how or even better work it out then that would be great. It's a 442 BU valve,I think thats right.
There does not appear to be a RF bypass cap, the wiring diagram shows mains in via the switch on the live side, then straight to the transformer and the neutral to the voltage tapping. I did try the 16 + 16 as a tempery measure but it made no difference.
Josh I will take you up on the 8mf X 2 if the 16mf proves unsuitable.Thank you.
The other hum I took a chance on and tried a 1/4 turn on a couple of cores (and then returned them to where they were.) this was 90% better. So I am going to try to do an alinement , this leads to another question.It says about a injecting a 128.5 KC/S in which is fine I can follow that but then says inject a 214 m in , I take this to be 214 metres ? If the signal genny is in cycles then what is the conversion to metres?? or actually metres to cycles.

Sorry but I know nothing about this and am trying to learn as I go, or ask many questions and pick peoples brains, again.
Thanks a bunch.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 27th Feb 2008, 11:34 am   #5
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Geoff,
Alignment instructions often give both wavelength and frequency because the signal generator has to be set at some fixed frequency and then the radio dial set to the same frequency before adjustments are made. As a lot of radios had the dial marked in wavelength and signal generators usually have the dial marked in frequency this causes the complication. Your first frequency 128 Kc/s relates to the IF and this was always given in frequency.

The conversion is straight forward divide the speed of light by the wavelength and this gives frequency. Divide 300 000 by the wavelength in metres and this gives frequency in KHz . At one time conversion tables were readily available and you might find one in an old radio magazine or even on the internet .

In your case 214m is about 1.4 MHz.
Old 27th Feb 2008, 12:52 pm   #6
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello wireful3 many thanks for that,it is in the book I have started for this kind of information.This is a fantastic forum, I would be totally lost without it.
I would never never have guessed the answer.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Old 28th Feb 2008, 9:47 pm   #7
Geoff 555
Heptode

This is just to say a very Big thank you to you all. It's up and running!! It's got a few small things to do, a bootlace and the lid of a micro wave plastic container is the tuning cord that fell apart and the link to the dial pointer.
The bad buzz when tuned into a station was a 'funny' , I thought I would have a bash at alinement and found that for some reason it was well out, the cores etc. were well covered with dust but all required a tweek. Result no buzz and many more stations available. I am chuffed.
Cheers,all the best.
Geoff.
Closed Thread