UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2019, 3:40 pm   #1
Retrowomble
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can you tell me more about these Ekco and Philips Bakelite radios?

I wonder if anyone could tell me a bit more about these radios?

The one on the left is an Ekco, while the one on the right is a Philips. The Philips has a glass display for the stations, which I would guess is illuminated when the radio is turned on.

I'd be interested to know about the model, likely age and rarity or otherwise, as well as if it's possible to get spares for them.

(I've not tried to switch on the radios and would be grateful for some on advice on what I need to do before operating them, or even if I should!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000507_1947_edited-1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	193723  
Old 15th Nov 2019, 3:58 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Can you tell me more about these Ekco and Philips Bakelite radios?

I don't know the model numbers offhand, but they should be printed on the cardboard backs - both models look familiar. You are right not to power them up, as some components will almost certainly need changing. You can cause expensive damage by applying power.

They are early 50s sets, and may be worth rather less than you are hoping - perhaps £10 for the Ekco and £20 for the Philips. That's assuming they are in good cosmetic condition and complete, but electrically unrestored.

They can be restored to fully working condition by someone with the appropriate expertise. Do you have any experience with electronics yourself?
Old 15th Nov 2019, 4:27 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

The Ekco looks to be a U195:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ekco_u195u_19.html

The Philips could be a 462a:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_462a_462_a.html

Lawrence.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 4:29 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Philips is a very good performer, but has a quite complex circuit and comes from c.1948. The glass scale does illuminate. The EKCO has pre-set tuning for just 4 stations. They are rare-ish, but not rare. Spare parts can still be bought. I would not attempt to power these up as is. Remember, both of these are for the AM reception only so your choice of UK stations will be very limited.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 4:30 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

The Philips radio looks like a model 462A from 1947. Not sure about the EKCO, which has pre-set stations
cheers
Mike
Old 15th Nov 2019, 4:36 pm   #6

I am in Maidenhead, drop me a PM, I could pop round and have a look.

Old 15th Nov 2019, 4:37 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Nothing special about either of them and not rare either. Designwise the Philips is probably the more popular and sought after especially if the scale is intact and not cracked or broken and the markings are good.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 4:46 pm   #8
Half a Mullard
Hexode

I agree, the Philips would be more collectable. I think the glass scale is often missing or broken. I suspect it would be more challenging electrically though, perhaps not one for a beginner.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 4:46 pm   #9
electrogram
Heptode

The Philips is quite a good set, sensitivity and sound quality better than average.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 8:16 pm   #10
Sideband
Dekatron

The U195 I'm told was designed for blind people hence the pre-set tuning and lack of any other controls other than volume. I used to have one and they sound quite reasonable for a simple radio.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 8:27 pm   #11
paulsherwin

I suspect it was more a question of designing a radio to sell at the lowest possible price for the emerging 'second set' market. It's a short superhet, not a design Ekco usually went in for.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 8:59 pm   #12
Techman
Dekatron

I think I've got one of those pre-set station Ekco radios that I was given a year or so ago. I think I've seen one of those Philips radios in one of my local auction houses during this last year. I may have a picture of it somewhere - if I can find it I may be able to put a date to the sale and look up how much it made. There's been an absolute glut of radios like this in the auctions this last year or so, to the extent that it's definitely not from house clearances, but more likely that a collector somewhere has been offloading a large collection a few at a time each month. I've looked at a few of these sets and many of them seem to have undergone a very similar sort of partial restoration. I've not bothered to bid for any of them as they're all AM only sets and are always in what I call the 'expensive' room with the internet connected, and they're nearly always high lot numbers which won't come up until late in the afternoon, and I've had enough and gone home by then.

As regards the availability of spares, it's true that general electronic parts such as resistors and capacitors are available, but bespoke parts like that dial glass are NOT available, so be careful with it and don't break it or wash all the markings off it, or it will be game over - unless you can find one from a scrap set, or get someone to copy one and print it onto some fresh glass.
Old 15th Nov 2019, 9:55 pm   #13
Techman
Dekatron

I found a picture of my Ekco and also an auction picture that I took of the Philips radio on viewing day. It was on the floor under a table with a couple of other radios. I pulled them out to take the photo, although it's not a very good one. From the date of the photo I was able to date it to May 2018 and on looking up the auction details on-line, I see it made £25 on the day. The other two radios, a Murphy and a Mullard, made £18 and £10 respectively.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1110090.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	193746   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110426.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	193747  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 6:14 am   #14
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The U195 has a 'brother', the A222. It's the same set with a Smiths clock mechanism added, making a clock radio. It is of course AC only due to the clock motor, but it's the same AC/DC live chassis radio.

I am told that model was bought by hotels as a clock radio for the guest rooms.
Old 16th Nov 2019, 9:22 am   #15
MurphyNut
Heptode

I've always rather liked the Ekco U195, and if a nice one was to turn up I'd certainly add it to my collection.
A couple of years earlier in 1951 Ekco had brought out the Festival A147. Very similar in concept and I would imagine a more expensive set. I have one and a nice sounding radio it is too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ecko.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	193757