UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2020, 8:34 pm   #61
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: When did tuning dials change from Metres to kHz?

I always liked the Radio1 247 jingles; years of following the Radio1 Road Show around coastal towns like Lowestoft, Filey, Paignton, Weston-Super-Mare - and once actually getting on-stage to guess the "Smiley-Miley" mileage contest [photographic evidence exists of me-and-DLT to support this, but I failed to guess the right mileage] must have damaged me.

Pragmatically, I always wince when radio-stations announce themselves as "97 to 99 FM" without specifying the units.
Old 28th May 2020, 11:50 pm   #62
Richard_FM
Nonode

Reading confusingly had a radio station called Two-Ten FM, which was the frequency in metres of the original ILR when it started on MW.
Old 29th May 2020, 9:08 am   #63
mark2collection
Hexode

Without wishing to hijack, I suppose another question to add to the original post could include, when did some FM receivers have 'Log' on their dials?

I don't have one to hand, but at work my daily driver in the lab is a Leak 2000, which for FM I think goes from 0 to 10(?) it also has the usual units we're familiar with today. Curiously, not all Leak 2000's had this feature on the dial.

Another unit, not to hand, is the only music centre I have, a Winthronic 'President' which also has a Log scale. Perhaps a 70's thing?

Mark
Old 29th May 2020, 10:34 am   #64
Herald1360
Dekatron

More of a throwback to the early days of wireless when the only scale was a logging one. Often 0-100, sometimes 0-180 (degrees of condenser rotation). You could record station dial positions in your reception log for posterity or at any rate convenience- especially if the set was one with multiple (unganged) tuning stages!

The HRO was a notable logging scale only (0-500) set though it did provide frequency conversion graphs on the individual coilpacks.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th May 2020, 4:45 pm   #65
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

A random page from an old logbook of mine showing the logging scale degrees and position of the band-switch of my R107 receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r107 log.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	207123  
Old 29th May 2020, 5:05 pm   #66
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Yes, 'logging' scales are part of pretty much every communications-receiver; for example my Eddystone 840A has two!

One being a linear scale (paradoxically calibrated 0 to 2500) along the bottom of the main tuning-window, the other being a small rather higher-geared circular one visible through a small cutout in the top of the tuning-scale, which is calibrated 0 to 100

So you can set the linear one to, say, 650 as a rough indicator then keep on tuning to get the little one to read 85....
Closed Thread