UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2021, 10:22 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Muting the audio on a Jukebox

I need to mute the audio during the record changing ,there is a mute relay in the pre amp stage ,it works but there is still motor noise ,due to part of the amp still working , I think switching the ht could cause a pop/ click which would be as bad , my thoughts were shorting the speaker out ,with another relay, thoughts please, Mick.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 10:37 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Muting the audio on a Jukebox

Which Jukebox - what make etc. Sounds like it could be bad earthing somewhere. It's a fault - not good to short the speakers although some makes did.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 10:57 am   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Muting the audio on a Jukebox

Hi,
I have a domestic Garrard autochanger. It shorts the pick up cartridge during the change cycle, then opens the contacts again just when the stylus lands on the record. I presume the mute relay does the same.
Hope this helps.
Cheers. Pete
Old 28th Nov 2021, 11:52 am   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

If possible, might screening the valves in the power amp help?
Old 28th Nov 2021, 4:40 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

I don't think any suggestions are going to help until we know what jukebox it is. There have been many different muting systems applied to different boxes and as original they all worked when new, so therefor there is a fault that has occurred. If the motor noise is from a DC motor, then maybe the carbon brushes are bad and that has nothing to do with the amplifier.
More info needed otherwise we are chasing a wild goose.
Old 29th Nov 2021, 10:52 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

I'd imagine that shorting the speaker out would be a very bad idea!

What happens when you short the input from the cartridge to ground?
Old 30th Nov 2021, 12:41 am   #7
Analogue man
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I'd imagine that shorting the speaker out would be a very bad idea!

What happens when you short the input from the cartridge to ground?
Shorting the cartridge to ground is the way that Wurlitzers mute the deck during record change.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 11:23 am   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi thanks for the replies chaps, the amp is from a Rock-ola 1488 the mute relay is connected to the balance control earthing the sig at both ends, it does mute the signal , but as stated the rest of the amp is left open so to speak and prone to pick up interference, it is possible the the motor is a bit tired , suppressor capacitors have been tried on the motor to no effect, more thoughts on shorting out the speakers, I don't see a problem as there is no sig ,so the output valves are just sat there all dc conditions correct Mick.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 12:52 pm   #9
Analogue man
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
Hi thanks for the replies chaps, the amp is from a Rock-ola 1488 the mute relay is connected to the balance control earthing the sig at both ends, it does mute the signal , but as stated the rest of the amp is left open so to speak and prone to pick up interference, it is possible the the motor is a bit tired , suppressor capacitors have been tried on the motor to no effect, more thoughts on shorting out the speakers, I don't see a problem as there is no sig ,so the output valves are just sat there all dc conditions correct Mick.
As your jukebox has a valve amplifier then shorting the speaker terminals will mute the noise through the speaker but it might put the amp into oscillation if there is negative feedback taken from the secondary side of the output transformer, you won't hear it but it will do the amp no good at all.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 4:03 pm   #10
vinrads
Dekatron

I see from the cct there is neg feedback, I will put it to the test ie scope it when I get the amp , Mick.

Last edited by vinrads; 30th Nov 2021 at 4:12 pm.
Closed Thread