UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2021, 4:19 pm   #1

Default Hacker RP38A transistors

I know my answer, almost any modern silicon transistor will do, but what would be the very best replacement transistors for the Lockfits (BF194, '195b,c,d) on the IF board?

I ask because those Lockfits are known to fail (eventually) and I have the back off at the moment charging the batteries (a six monthly task). Next time I would like to change them.

All triggered by todays visit to the Maidenhead Heritage Centre for the new "Maidenheads Car Industry" exhibition. I found the Hacker display was twice as big including some Dynatron radios too. Odd to find ones day to day radio in a museum.

Old 2nd Dec 2021, 4:48 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Hacker RP38A transistors

BF494/5 are probably the 'best' choice, but there isn't much point in trying to track them down (and paying lots of money too) when lots of other types will work equally well.

I tend to use MPSH10s or 2SC2999s which seem to be fine. I once did a Roberts R606MB with BC239s as an experiment, and it was also fine despite these being BC109 type AF transistors.
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 5:59 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

The prime selection factor is 'What have you got to hand?'

David
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 6:25 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

David
And what is the cheapest, most ubiquitous bulk buy from China, which is arguably the 2N3904 at the moment.
I have a bag of 100, plus one of the PNP compliment, the 2N3906.

Oh, and a short bandoleer each of the SMD versions.
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 6:42 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Yes, it's always worth keeping a bag of cheap general purpose types to hand. I do normally replace Si VHF transistors with similar VHF types, but it's not really necessary in domestic AM/FM sets, and if I didn't have any to hand I'd happily use 2N3904s and not expect problems.
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 6:43 pm   #6

Quote:
Loads! Just wondering about the very best to use. More of a thought experiment than reality.

Old 2nd Dec 2021, 10:06 pm   #7
cathoderay57
Nonode

Personally, I'd leave well alone if the set is working well at present. I have had no issues with the lockfits in my RP38A; no noise, no failures. If it ain't broke don't fix it ! Jerry
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 10:44 am   #8
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathoderay57 View Post
Personally, I'd leave well alone if the set is working well at present. I have had no issues with the lockfits in my RP38A; no noise, no failures. If it ain't broke don't fix it ! Jerry
I totally agree. If it's working leave well alone. These Lockfit Si transistors are known to cause problems due to moisture ingress but if they have not been exposed to high humidity levels and damp they will be ok.

My Hacker Hunter RP38A is working really well with its original lockfit transistors and I would not dream about replacing them whilst the radio is working so well.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 11:42 am   #9
paulsherwin

It's true that the BF194/5 transistors are less prone to failure than the AF Lockfits, but they do still fail, sometimes with mysterious symptoms. I wouldn't change Lockfits in a fully working radio, but tend to change them if the set is in pieces for any reason and it's easy to do. I view it as cheap and easy preventative maintenance. Obviously opinions will differ about this, as with wax cap replacement in valve sets.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 2:35 pm   #10

Thanks all for the replies, I was more thinking "what would Hacker had used given todays components", probably one less gain stage!

Closed Thread