UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2021, 11:04 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Majestic 90B. Bringing a Dinosaur back to life.

This is a Majestic 90b I purchased from Bill as an unfinished project , all the hard work had been done as was looking great , I just had the electronics to sort out , all coils and chokes/transformers checked out OK , two of the smoothing capacitors read low so I decided to replace all four in the massive block ,I had some paper ones rated at 600 volts just managed to squeeze them in, there are only five fixed resistors in the eight valve/tube set I replaced two which had gone high, also replaced the capacitors in five small steel cans ,the speaker was totally stripped and re painted being very careful with Cadmium coating a replacement energising coil was fitted supplied by Bill ,the connecting wire was perishing so replaced it with a piece which I had saved (it will come in handy one day) and so it did a perfect replica , note the massive tuning capacitor cover it housed a five gang capacitor, The set works very well at the HF end but a bit flat at the LF end , will investigate later ,that's it for now I see the paint stripper has just arrived for the cabinet it is a border line case but I think I need to strip it . Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0010 (2).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	235872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0012 (2).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	235873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0008 (2).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	235874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0013 (2).jpg
Views:	164
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	235875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0011 (2).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	235876  

Old 17th Jun 2021, 5:23 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Majestic 90B. Bringing a Dinosaur back to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
two of the smoothing capacitors read low so I decided to replace all four in the massive block ,I had some paper ones rated at 600 volts just managed to squeeze them in,
Did you mean paper?
Personally I would not have used paper capacitors, we usually cut those out and chuck them. I would have used 2uF or 4uf 630V Polypropylene types.
Mike
Old 17th Jun 2021, 10:37 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Majestic 90B. Bringing a Dinosaur back to life.

Thanks Mike ,the capacitors are vintage ones ex equipment all tested good also given a good soak test at near max voltage ,before fitting ,also I fitted an HT fuse 200ma as the set takes 120 ma the set is in use every day no problem so far , Mick.
Closed Thread