UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Apr 2012, 7:24 pm   #1
dualloop
Pentode

Default Panasonic NV2000 VCR help

I have just aquired this VCR from ebay, not expecting it to work, and suprise suprise it doesn't.
It switches on and goes into and out of standby but will not play/ff/rew.
The idler wheel engaes the right tape wheel(?) and the video head spins but that's it. The take-up posts do nothing unless I stop it or it gives up, in which case they move a little bit then back down again. The clock also doesn't display at all. All I have done so far is change a fuse inside to see if that solves the clock display but it didn't.
I do have some knowledge that I have learnt thanks to you guys (not trying to kiss-ass, honest ) but I don't know any of the stock faults and whether this is even fixable. Can anyone suggest where I can go next?
Old 15th Apr 2012, 10:52 pm   #2
vhs doctor
Pentode

Default Re: Panasonic NV2000 VCR help

First of all repair the clock you must have damaged power supply,if the clock does not work also the servo circuit might not work.
Old 16th Apr 2012, 12:29 am   #3
dualloop
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
First of all repair the clock you must have damaged power supply,if the clock does not work also the servo circuit might not work.
Stupid question but how would I be able to check these?
Old 16th Apr 2012, 9:29 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

You really need to put out a request in the relevant section for a service manual, which would show how the power rails run, how they're switched and so on.

It could be something as simple as a dry-jointed regulator or switching transistor, or an open circuit circuit protector.

Good luck with it,

Nick.
Old 16th Apr 2012, 11:20 am   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Believe as Nick says,circuit protectors possibly yellow in colour.Also may be duff (high esr) caps in power supply.

David
Old 16th Apr 2012, 11:33 am   #6
vhs doctor
Pentode

if you can not found the manual check the protection resistors on the resistor surface you can read the ohm value.You must desolder the resistors and measure them with a multimeter if the value is ok.

Check the link it have a photo from these type of resistor

http://www.wellgainelectronics.com/m...-3fjs100d.aspx

The next step is to check the electrolytic capacitors (the best that you can do is to replace all of them in the power supply board the VCR is very old and the capacitors may are damaged from the age)
Old 16th Apr 2012, 4:41 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
This is a simple power supply, just a transformer and regulators, the main problem being dried-up electrolytics - they tended to become crusty and fall apart - they don't bulge like modern capacitors. There were a couple of (I think) 2200uF ones that gave trouble - even if they aren't doing now replacement would be sensible. The clock uses a relatively high-voltage rail - again there will be a capacitor here.
As a start it won't cost much to change all the electrolytics in the power supply, as VHS Doctor advises, then see what works.
As Nick says, a manual will be your best friend here.
Glyn
Old 22nd Apr 2012, 10:49 pm   #8
dualloop
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
This is a simple power supply, just a transformer and regulators, the main problem being dried-up electrolytics - they tended to become crusty and fall apart - they don't bulge like modern capacitors. There were a couple of (I think) 2200uF ones that gave trouble - even if they aren't doing now replacement would be sensible. The clock uses a relatively high-voltage rail - again there will be a capacitor here.
As a start it won't cost much to change all the electrolytics in the power supply, as VHS Doctor advises, then see what works.
As Nick says, a manual will be your best friend here.
Glyn
Hi many thanks for your replies, sorry I haven't replied straight away but i've been a bit busy. Is the PSU easily repairable? This would explain why it's not switching on properly, however, I did see what looks like a scortch mark on the clock faicre but I couldn't see any other blown components. Also, something (i'm not sure what it is) located on the underside board at RY2001 keeps clicking when I try and rewind a tape, not sure if this helps.
Closed Thread