UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2010, 9:49 pm   #21
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Washing an Aurora

A friend of mine had his new Nokia mobile phone washed when his wife did not check his trouser pockets. Despite opening it up washing it and drying it never worked again. So I suppose it depends on how waterproof an item is on whether it survives or not.
Old 15th Nov 2010, 10:01 am   #22
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

It was My Aurora ,This is the offending animal ! It was the fireworks Im afraid he was sick too , but not on the aurora , he goes for the nearest rug for that
i do have to agree about cats being worse .I work in plenty of houses with cats , most that have more than one suffer from pee inside.One place ,which is kept immaculate ..despite this I was given a sheet to cover my tools as "one of the cats will spray them regularly" ,I could smell it too .
The aurora is fine so far fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mums Christmas pics 08 001.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	42740  
Old 15th Nov 2010, 12:30 pm   #23
greasylox
Retired Dormant Member

Yes experience here favours warm water with a touch of washing up liquid, followed by a rinse with a shower, and then alcohol, followed by a warm oven.
Old 16th Nov 2010, 12:30 am   #24
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Like some other members on here, Part of my job involves repairing studio equipment, beer in a mixing desk is not uncommon but one of the worst i had to tackle was hot chocolate in an Avolight Pearl lighting desk. this desk has a roller to select different pages and the hot chocolate had got into the rather complex switching arrangement this desk uses as well as in most of the faders in the lower part of the desk.
fortunately the fader banks in this desk are modular so all offending boards had to be removed as well as the roller index unit and the LCD display which had also taken a dunking all where taken home and washed in the bath with the shower then dried in the airing cupboard for a week, once re assembled the desk was good as new again.
I've had mixed success with dunked mobile phones it seems to be if you get is washed in clean water as quick as possible then dry you stand a better chance of success than if there is a delay in cleaning.

Jay
Old 16th Nov 2010, 9:40 am   #25
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Presumably if something like a mobile phone is powered , is already on when it has a wet accident ,its less lightly to survive . I often forget to switch off the aurora ! Im not allowing it on the floor again though.
Old 16th Nov 2010, 1:19 pm   #26
Tim
Dekatron

I encountered "small animal"pee in telephone sockets etc. a few times when I was "out" with BT. It is quite chorrosive, and the line voltage doesn't help. I even had a case of a cable bubbling and fizzing after being affected.
Worst small appliance was a toaster that had been "abused" by one of my mums cats. I washed it out with a hose pipe and it did actually work for a few months afterwards. I went off toast for a bit though.

I was also given a ghetto blaster to repair by a good friend, which his daughter had dropped in a rock pool on the beach. They had not washed it out for a few days, and the thing was absolutely wrecked, full of sand and everything seized. I couldn't even use it for spares.
Old 16th Nov 2010, 1:44 pm   #27
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I encountered "small animal"pee in telephone sockets etc. a few times when I was "out" with BT......
A cat owning friend of mine suffered exactly that problem.
Old 16th Nov 2010, 4:16 pm   #28
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Local chippie had mobile phone in the oil, not sure if the phone worked afterwards but they still continued serving the chips - I didn't buy.

Michael
Old 21st Nov 2010, 7:10 pm   #29
locoian
Retired Dormant Member

Ref Steve P's suggestion to have cats instead of dogs, one of our cats threw up down the back of our telly.

Our dogs have never done that!

Ian
Old 21st Nov 2010, 11:36 pm   #30
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

To their dismay, the Moderators can't find their mop and have also discovered the bag of cat litter is empty. The Moderators are therefore putting the cat out, taking the dog for walkies and closing this thread.
Closed Thread