UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2012, 6:53 pm   #1
Ricardo
Pentode

Default Pye LV20 lives again!

My first vintage television restoration is nearing completion. Electrically at least.

Here are some photos of the set as acquired.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xl_IMGP1550.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	67422 Click image for larger version

Name:	xl_IMGP1551.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	67423 Click image for larger version

Name:	xl_IMGP1552.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	67424

The set had been stored in wet conditions and the cabinet in particular has suffered quite a bit of damage.

After cleaning away all the spider webs and other muck the electrical checks began.

Since this was my first TV restoration I proceeded with a fair degree of caution. The capacitor across the mains was removed. The heater chain proved to be intact including the Brimistor. I replaced the Hunts capacitors from various points in the heater chain to the chassis. The main filter capacitors reformed OK. I then disconnected the HT supplies to the rest of the set at the filter capacitor and gradually applied power. With full mains voltage all was well with both the valve heater circuit and the HT voltage.

At this stage I split the incoming mains so that I could apply 240V ac directly to the valve heaters via the mains dropper and Brimistor and an adjustable supply from a variac via the mains rectifier to the rest of the set. This allowed me to increase the supply to the set over a period of time whilst watching out for signs of distress. Nothing untoward happened and I was rewarded with some line whistle, but nothing on the screen and no sound.

According to my High Voltage probe I only appeared to have around 600V of EHT. So I spent quite some time checking around the line output transformer, EHT rectifier, etc. Nothing appeared to be wrong. Eventually I realised that the ratio of my high voltage probe was 1000:1 and not 100:1 as I thought. So in fact I had around 6kV of EHT. Doh!

Still no screen illumination however.

At this stage I checked and replaced various leaky capacitors and a number of high value resistors.

Eventually I managed to get first light on the screen albeit very dim.

Most of the remaining problems were down to the slider controls at the rear. Several of which were totally seized up. I removed the panel with these sliders on completely, then spent some time freeing them up and cleaning the wipers so that they gave smooth adjustment from end to end.

With an input signal from an Aurora standards converter and some adjustment of these controls I now have the following picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xl_IMGP1563.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	67425

It still needs some further work, but I am very pleased with the results so far.

Richard
Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:11 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye LV20 lives again!

very encouraging, look forward to the finished set
Old 7th Jun 2012, 7:48 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Lovely work Richard. REAL tellies these are!

One day I will be brave enough to strip the sliders on my B18 for a clean up. How difficult was it?
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:06 pm   #4
audiomagpie
Heptode

Good results so far Richard! I've got one of these (BV- the midlands version) in my 'round tuit' pile. The slider panel is missing (removed by the previous dabbler) so I'll replace with rotary pots and make up a little panel that fits. All this before I even think about getting 'first light', it's a winters evening job.

I do like these very late 40's/early 50's single channel sets, the are about as straight forward as TV gets (which means I'm in with a chance) and the EHT will do no more harm than make you swear, maybe frighten the cat!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:16 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Nice work, I really like these old pye sets, I recently restored an LV51F.
The chassis looks to have survived well, how bad is the cabinet?

Mark
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:33 pm   #6
Tazman1966
Nonode

What a great first result! You'll be hooked now!
Old 7th Jun 2012, 8:55 pm   #7
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Lovely work Richard. REAL tellies these are!

One day I will be brave enough to strip the sliders on my B18 for a clean up. How difficult was it?
One day I will be brave enough to tackle a TV. 6kV is scary!!
Old 7th Jun 2012, 9:12 pm   #8
Ricardo
Pentode

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments.

Dave (Boom), The slider control panel is quite easy to extract. Remove the four nuts and bolts holding it in place and it will pull out to the extent that the wires will allow. I unsoldered all 13 wires from this assembly so that I could work on it more easily. I didn't bother to strip it down any further. I cleaned it initially in an ultrasonic bath. Then sprayed de-oxit on each of the wipers, put a drop of oil on the fixing screws, and slid them up and down until they moved smoothly. In my case it was certainly worth the effort.

Mark, Unfortunately the cabinet is in quite a poor state. One side in particular has clearly been very wet and now has loose and missing veneer. What is worse is that the plywood has also de-laminated somewhat on that side. It is probably fixable, but cabinet repairs are not my forte at all. I will have to give it some further consideration now that the set is working reasonably well electrically.

Tas, You are almost certainly correct. This is very unlikely to be my first and only vintage TV!

Richard
Old 7th Jun 2012, 9:33 pm   #9
audiomagpie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post

6kV but only a handfull of microamps. No worse than an electric fence or touching the sparkplug on the lawnmower! 'Flyback' EHT generated from a small overwind on the line output transformer won't kill! (But the mains derived EHT on pre war and a very few immediatley post war sets- well that's a different story! I ain't got the bottle for these, or even the funds to buy one come to think of it)!

The main caution with these sets is the mains voltage/live chassis etc., so no more dangerous than a mains radio.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 7th Jun 2012, 10:12 pm   #10
PaulR
Dekatron

Thank you for the encouragement Greg. I would have to learn a lot more about the theory before I tried one. I have always wanted to watch old programmes such as Dr Who on a small screened 1950s set - via an aurora of course!

Paul
Old 7th Jun 2012, 10:56 pm   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Looks as though it has an exceptionally good tube, well done. Believe or not I worked on those sets when they were nearly new.

Peter
Old 8th Jun 2012, 5:05 am   #12
GLENZ32
Hexode

What a great picture considering the amount of work you've done on it so far. Very promising start indeed TV collecting does start with only 'one'...then it grows.....and grows.....and grows.....
Cheers Glen
Old 8th Jun 2012, 10:05 pm   #13
stacman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagpie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post

6kV but only a handfull of microamps. No worse than an electric fence or touching the sparkplug on the lawnmower! 'Flyback' EHT generated from a small overwind on the line output transformer won't kill! (But the mains derived EHT on pre war and a very few immediatley post war sets- well that's a different story! I ain't got the bottle for these, or even the funds to buy one come to think of it)!

The main caution with these sets is the mains voltage/live chassis etc., so no more dangerous than a mains radio.

Greg
Yes TV EHT scares me too, even if it is low current,
John (Heatercathodeshort), makes me smile, he laughs in the face of high voltage! I used to work with an electrician like that, 'Just plug it in.......it can only go bang',
Regards to all, Alan
Old 8th Jun 2012, 10:44 pm   #14
PaulR
Dekatron

I just read his descriptions of TV restorations in awe and wonder.
Old 9th Jun 2012, 10:13 am   #15
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I am afraid my philosophy is the same as Johns, when you have worked in the TV trade as long as we have and recieved shocks on a daily basis you get to take no notice, you used to sustain more harm by the sudden involuntary withdrawal of your hand from the cabinet than from the shock itself, there was usually a sharp bracket sticking out to gouge the back of your hand - caution is still advisable though.

Peter
Closed Thread