UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2021, 5:56 pm   #41
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: KB Valiant (VV70) 1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
What about the microphone and long cable to reach the baby's room, was that part of the kit?
It was available as a separate item and not part of the BAK1 kit.
Old 13th Feb 2021, 6:11 pm   #42
Colourstar
Octode

Here's yet another variant on the VC chassis theme. It has a pushbutton VHF tuner and an illuminated continuous tuning scale for UHF. I'm not sure what make this one is, as the badge on the front has lost it's insert and there are no clues on the back cover either. I'm fairly sure it's not a KB, so it must be either a Regentone or an RGD....

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VC Chassis.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	226659  
Old 13th Feb 2021, 10:20 pm   #43
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
There was an RGD version which had a very nice teak cabinet and possibly was the only VC series receiver to employ a solenoid for system switching.
Model RV039?
DFWB.
It was the model RV309. The basic chassis was the VC3 and the VHF tuner was a Plessey? unit fitted with a fifth button for UHF 625 lines.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RGD_RV309.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	226679  

Last edited by FERNSEH; 13th Feb 2021 at 10:49 pm.
Old 13th Feb 2021, 10:56 pm   #44
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by af024 View Post
This thread is intriguing me for several reasons, not least because I shall in due course be attempting restoration of a VV20 Vanguard, but also because I don’t understand the KB naming convention. Is there one?

I am attaching photos of the VV20 I have here which is a 19” example. I’ve currently have the chassis removed, hence the missing controls etc. Sorry for the poor picture quality! Not only does 'Vanguard' appear near the system switch as shown, but also on the CRT 'bowl' on the rear cover(sorry I can't get a good enough picture of that to demonstrate).

Looking at the VV70 in this thread, the cabinet trim is the same as the VV20 I have, and the chassis is the same, so did KB rename every slight difference? I mean this is just a different screen size, yes, so why use a different name for that?

How confusing!
I will be very interested to see how you get on with your set.
Old 13th Feb 2021, 10:59 pm   #45
gary_crutchley
Heptode

Thanks for all of the comments everyone, absolutely fascinating. Hopefully one day we may find a way to get the set restored.
Old 15th Feb 2021, 9:58 pm   #46
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Here's yet another variant on the VC chassis theme. It has a pushbutton VHF tuner and an illuminated continuous tuning scale for UHF. I'm not sure what make this one is, as the badge on the front has lost it's insert and there are no clues on the back cover either. I'm fairly sure it's not a KB, so it must be either a Regentone or an RGD....

Steve
I'm intrigued by this set, it looks so "not KB"!

Do you have any photographs of the innards that you could share?

Is the "model/chassis/serial number" paper label still present on the main chassis?
It's usually located below the mains dropper.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 12:04 pm   #47
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

That is an odd TV as most had push buttons for UHF and rotary for VHF.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 12:19 pm   #48
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
That is an odd TV as most had push buttons for UHF and rotary for VHF.
My immediate thought was that the TV has a Plessey dual standard chassis inside it - as fitted in Defiant (Coop) sets of that time.......

All the basic KB, RGD and Regentone “VC” chassis models had rotary UHF and VHF tuners.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:05 pm   #49
Colourstar
Octode

Well here we go then. Luckily there's still a label lurking in the dust: VC34 chassis. The model is a TV502 - is that an RGD model number? It's not a KB or Regentone series, so I guess it must be. Looks like it has a regunned tube courtesy of Telec of Gainsborough, Lincs (tel. 3395)

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	226925   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	226926   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	226927  
Old 16th Feb 2021, 10:27 pm   #50
ms660
Dekatron

That chassis takes me back.

TV502 was a Regentone.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 11:06 pm   #51
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Well here we go then. Luckily there's still a label lurking in the dust: VC34 chassis. The model is a TV502 - is that an RGD model number? It's not a KB or Regentone series, so I guess it must be. Looks like it has a regunned tube courtesy of Telec of Gainsborough, Lincs (tel. 3395)

Steve
Well, that is interesting.

The main chassis looks to be a VC2, as it still has an HT smoothing choke, but a VDR stabilised line timebase (the VC3 and beyond used resistance-capacitance HT smoothing - cheaper!).

I think the VC34 chassis type on the label must refer to the model specific version, including tuners, system switching arrangements and customer controls presentation.

It's a pity the large rectangular label on the bottom RHS of the back cover is also missing (you can see where it was). That would have had the "brand name" on it.

Shortly after STC bought the RGD, Regentone and Argosy brands and merged them into their KB subsidiary, subsequent sets with early "KB" VC chassis in them had such labels stuck over what was a Kolster Brandes marking directly printed onto the back cover itself. I have one that has a Regentone brand label stuck over the KB printing (they must have been using up KB back covers).

After that, all brands of set just had "Consumer Products Division of STC" directly printed onto the back cover and the brand was indicated by the model number on the small paper label below the mains dropper (and the badge on the front of the cabinet). At least, until the ITT-KB brand started to appear.

I think you could be correct saying that this model was probably a Regentone. Once STC Consumer Products had begun using a coherent model numbering system for all their brands, they used KV for KB, RV for RGD and (probably) TV for Regentone sets. For example, in radios, the KB model was KR019 and the equivalent Regentone was TR419 (1965/66 range models).

I think the Regentone brand was discontinued around that time.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 11:30 pm   #52
Colourstar
Octode

Very interesting info! I was wrong- Lawrence is correct- it must be a Regentone, not an RGD. Odd that it has lost its identifying logos both front and back...

In my ignorance I didn't realise that Regentone model designations have a 'TV' prefix. In the 1964 'Which?' magazine test of dual standard receivers, they simply refer to the 'Regentone 197' etc.

Steve
Old 16th Feb 2021, 11:52 pm   #53
dazzlevision
Dekatron

The purely numeric RGD and Regentone model numbers used in the initial ranges of STC (KB) made sets are a hangover from the previous brand owner, when they used Plessey made chassis.
Old 17th Feb 2021, 11:44 am   #54
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

R&TV servicing 1965/66 pages 441-451 lists the Regentone TV502 as being fitted with the VC2 chassis using a 23" A59-13W CRT.
Oddly there is also what they call a 'Cost improved' version of the VC2 but just glancing at the circuit reveals no difference! The smoothing choke is in circuit on both versions. J.
Old 17th Feb 2021, 7:32 pm   #55
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
R&TV servicing 1965/66 pages 441-451 lists the Regentone TV502 as being fitted with the VC2 chassis using a 23" A59-13W CRT.
Oddly there is also what they call a 'Cost improved' version of the VC2 but just glancing at the circuit reveals no difference! The smoothing choke is in circuit on both versions. J.

A “cost improved” VC2 circuit diagram was issued (drawing no. 861/IC/E) after the full service manual was published. The significant changes are:

• Alterations to the frame sync pulse amplifier stage

• Elimination of the “baby alarm” wiring and tag strip

• C100 and R119 in the audio preamp input circuitry are deleted.

• Change in the HT feed to the PCL86 triode stage

• Combining of a pair of series connected resistors into single component in the line output stage (R142+R143)

• R83 and R86 are combined in the Boost HT feed to the frame oscillator stage (and R91 is deleted).

• The 405 contact of S11 is used to add capacitor C122 (3kpF) in parallel with C125 (2kpF) – line drive waveform shaping.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 17th Feb 2021 at 7:46 pm.
Old 18th Feb 2021, 11:55 am   #56
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Odd they called it the 'cost improved' version. Adding up the differences I would have thought the savings if any, would have cancelled out. Normally these changes would have simply been called 'modifications'.
Excellent range of chassis and I must admit I found the UHF valve tuner a good performer when compared with the HOPT version fitted in the PYE 11U. John.
Closed Thread