UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2020, 3:08 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Bush VHF 80c restored (just 6V .15 A bulbs wanted)

Not a rare or particularly unusual radio but I had a rewarding time getting it working nicely.
The set had one owner before me, it was offered on ebay and was only a five minute drive from my home, which was rather handy!
The elderly man told me it was bought new by his wife, I told him the set dates from about 1960, he said that worked out just right.
It was very grubby with the usual paint worn away near the knobs, anyone who has had one of these set will know what I mean.
It actually worked, but not very well, on removing the chassis it was clear it had never been touched since new. The first job was to replace all of the hunt and wax capacitors, also replacing the low value electrolytic. This confused me at first as it was positive earthed to the chassis, very unusual.
This made a huge difference, faultless performance on MW and LW, however VHF was only ok, I was convinced it should sound better than it did. There was a bit of distortion with anything that had some bass. Reading up on past forum posts I decided it might be a valve problem so I replace the VHF valve (UCC85)
Luckily I had a spare one in my valve box, this did the trick, louder and no distortion.
The pilot bulbs had failed, so I tried to remove them but they were completely corded into the holders and the glass globe just broke away in my fingers.
These holders and still available on line so new ones were ordered and subsequently soldered in. I Just need to find the right rated bulbs now, if anyone knows where I might find a couple I’d be most grateful, I believe they are 6 V .15 A.
Cosmetically it just needed a good polish/clean and the front re-sprayed, I found a good colour match to the original.
Nice set, I always think they make the perfect kitchen radio. Well made and sound very clear, I’ve been listening to radio 3 on it all day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0237 - Copy.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	199794  
Old 27th Feb 2020, 3:20 pm   #2
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: Bush VHF 80c restored (just 6V .15 A bulbs wanted)

If it sounds anything like the VHF81 I have (I suspect it probably does) they are a lovely set to listen to, well done MurphyNut!
I'll have a root through my bulbs as I have an idea I just might have a couple or something very close you'd be welcome to.
Mine had lots of issues with kitchen grease over everything including in the valve bases plus all the Hunts/Waxies. Lovely chassis to work on though.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 3:30 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Are they MES E10 bulbs? If so this seller has them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MES-Minia...3bFZIcUptHwD8g

Alan
Old 27th Feb 2020, 6:32 pm   #4
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Are they MES E10 bulbs? If so this seller has them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MES-Minia...3bFZIcUptHwD8g

Alan
Many thanks Alan, I've just bought the last one, so I'm still one short. Hopefully
Beardyman might have one.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 7:07 pm   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

I thought they came in packs of two (or more) but the selection system did seem a bit strange.

Alan
Old 27th Feb 2020, 8:09 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

These are excellent little radios. I always say they work where other radios don't. Extra IF stage for FM makes a huge difference and the extra IF amp is used as an RF amp on MW and LW which makes my VHF80 pick up R Caroline with no trouble on its ferrite aerial.

There is also a degree of negative feedback in the output stage which further improves the audio quality. Lots of radio in a small cabinet.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 2:02 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Nice!!! I've got a VHF81 here which, as noted, works really well on MW as well as on FM.

(and yes it had the corroded-bulbs issue like your VHF80: the bulb holders seemed to be made of some kind of hard rubber compound which had decayed and the decay-products had eaten through the plating on the threaded part of the bulbs, corroding the whole thing into an immovable mass. Like you, I found replacement of bulbs and holders was the easiest option).

I suspect that the VHF80/81 were probably close to the last UK-made valve radios that used 'classic' aluminium-chassis construction before the coming of the all-conquering PCBs.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 5:10 pm   #8
Beardyman
Hexode

Hi MurphyNut,
Just got home! Weather is truly awful here.
I've got some 6.5V 0.1A MES bulbs which are yours if you want them, I've tried then at 6V & 6.3V & I can't see the difference in ouput.
Just PM me your address & I'll pop them in the post to you tomorrow.
Have a good evening.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 10:13 am   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

It's a transformerless radio, so the lamps will have to be rated 0.15A.
Old 29th Feb 2020, 10:42 am   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

The eBay seller mentioned previously still seems to have plenty of 6V 0.15A MES bulbs available in packs of two unless I'm missing something obvious.

Alan
Old 29th Feb 2020, 12:23 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice work, Clive!

The cap you refer to is part of the discriminator circuit. +ve to chassis is normal for these, but often catches people out.

I have one of these sets in the pile to do when I get a bit of time, bought from Jeremy/Pamphonica at Wooton Bassett a few years ago.

Cheers,

Nick.
Old 1st Mar 2020, 5:22 pm   #12
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardyman View Post
Hi MurphyNut,
Just got home! Weather is truly awful here.
I've got some 6.5V 0.1A MES bulbs which are yours if you want them, I've tried then at 6V & 6.3V & I can't see the difference in ouput.
Just PM me your address & I'll pop them in the post to you tomorrow.
Have a good evening.
Many thanks, I've sent you my address via PM.