UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2020, 11:02 am   #1
darren166957
Diode

Default AWA / TAD M-8, how to program 144MHz

Hi, I have one of these big old VHF high band PMR sets from the 1980s. I know how to program it, but it only accepts frequencies down to 148MHz. Does anyone know how to extend this so I can get it onto 2metres? I'm assuming I have to edit/replace the eprom.
These sets seem to exist in more than one version, covering 148-174MHz and 144-174MHz, and maybe others.

Darren G1ERM.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 11:29 am   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: AWA / TAD M-8, how to program 144MHz

Have you been here Darren? I don't know if it's any use but it might be a start.

http://www.va7alg.ca/what.html

The download for the manual seems to work. It is a classic 2 chip synthesiser with Divider/Swallow Counter and Dual Modulus prescaler.

The data is serially loaded so hardware hacks with binary subtraction are out e.g. my method for the HEF4750/1 in the UHF FM914 where 70cm was locked out due to proximity to Aus CB band. (didn't you have special code for this once upon a time, or is my memory playing tricks?) Eventually I hardware hacked it and I did 6m the same way from PMR Low Band. You could give it a 20MHz HW shift which the uP had no idea about.

It's change the band limits programmed in EPROM I think unless you want to intercept serial data with a PIC and perform tricks that way.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 6th Jun 2020 at 11:56 am.
Closed Thread