UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2020, 5:34 pm   #1
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Hacker LS1300 drivers

I am sorting a pair of these for a neighbour. I have identified the mids as Peerless sealed units. Any info on the bass and tweeter? No labels present.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 5:43 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker LS1300 drivers

Photos please. What is wrong with them?
Old 4th Jun 2020, 7:29 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Peerless K040MRF? Really good units, but unobtainable. Though you can get replacement surrounds from Holland. Did mine 2 years ago.

There's a review of the Hacker 1300 in the Gramophone June 1975 page 118. It's from before audio went insane, so there may be useful facts, like details of drivers if you're lucky.

I'm trying to find a scan on-line but not getting anywhere.

Probably the drivers can be recognised from some photos.

David
Old 4th Jun 2020, 7:50 pm   #4
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Peerless K040MRF? Really good units, but unobtainable. Though you can get replacement surrounds from Holland.
David
They are indeed, David and very nice too - after I refoamed them with surrounds from Holland - same place I expect.

They all work (now) Edward - I was just interested to know what make they were. I'm leaning towards all Peerless now - as the tweeter I extracted actually had a label. Hopefully someone can confirm or ident the bass driver.

Neighbour would like me sell them for him and it's sad but I would probably get him a lot more for the drivers separately than for the whole things - the foam on the grilles has crumbled to nothing - so they don't look very appealing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340213.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	207685   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340214.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	207686   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1340215.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	207687  
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:03 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

The bass units look Peerless. Is there anything wrong with them? If the tweeters are intact and the K040s are re-foamed, then there's probably nothing to do other than look critically at the crossover capacitors.

As you said, rather sad that the drivers would fetch more than the complete assemblies.

David
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:06 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That colour and semi-matt paint finish, together with the type of open magnet assembly on the Bass driver, looks typical as being a Peerless unit.
Old 5th Jun 2020, 12:04 am   #7
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The bass units look Peerless. Is there anything wrong with them?
David
No - nothing at all - these speakers make a very nice noise - they just look awful. x-overs look to be nicely made as well. It's a shame to break. I'll have a think and maybe offer him a sensible sum and keep the bits for future projects - the Mem Sahib will probably use the cabs for planters!!
Old 5th Jun 2020, 5:08 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Plants stood on top, housing for hamster inside? Could give him a pipe between the two cabinets.... 'Is not rat, is hamster!'

Might be worth looking through any old Peerless info because they may have had applications notes or kits for that set of drivers.

Earlier Hacker speakers used the EMI 13x8 ellipticals, so these look to be a worthwhile step onwards.

David
Old 5th Jun 2020, 8:59 am   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The "sculptured foam" fronts were a disastrous choice, I bought my pair of LS1300s in the early '90s and already then it was falling off in misshapen chunks. I just removed the debris and stuck black vinyl 'speaker cloth to the fronts, the only option I found available locally, and they've alternated with my pair of original Leak Sandwiches for domestic duties ever since. Easy enough then to make them presentable, I'd probably track down something other than the black vinyl if I were doing it today but perhaps it's not terribly far from what a sensible choice might have been for Hacker at the time. I've no idea how the market for individual drivers might compare.

Paul
Old 5th Jun 2020, 11:25 am   #10
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
The "sculptured foam" fronts were a disastrous choice, I bought my pair of LS1300s in the early '90s and already then it was falling off in misshapen chunks. I just removed the debris and stuck black vinyl 'speaker cloth to the fronts
Paul
I have considered that - cut down the badges and glue them? One of the hardboard panels was very warped, but a few hours in the bath and 48 hrs under a weighted bit of kitchen worktop straightened it out. Maybe I'll shell out on some grille cloth and try them whole first.

I am afraid our cats would eat Manuel's 'hamster'!
Old 5th Jun 2020, 12:59 pm   #11
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
I have considered that - cut down the badges and glue them?
I don't remember needing to cut the badge spigots down, but it's a long time ago and from the look of them, and remembering the thickness of the original foam, presumably I did. The original badge clips were just prised off and reused, they're still in service.
Closed Thread