UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2020, 2:22 pm   #1
RF Burn
Hexode

Default Londex Antenna relay

While searching through my stuff I found a long forgotten pair of antenna changeover relays marked "LONDEX CCX 70X 24V.D.C."

Does anyone have the specs for these relays? The internet is almost silent about them.

Adrian
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:24 am   #2
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: Londex Antenna relay

I have had a few of these over the years and still have a BCX 50X, fitted with BNC connectors.
From memory, the number indicated the impedance, so 70CX was 72/75 ohms and 50CX was 50/52 ohms.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 8:41 am   #3
Humber888
Heptode

Some of those old Londex relays were fitted with Burndept sockets rather than N type. The Burndept plugs were a pain to assemble. I remember buying one relay which came with spare plugs with cut-off cable stubs and they were filled with wax to seal the inners. A picture of the relay would help but, if I am thinking of the same style, they should handle at least a hundred Watts of RF - probably more.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 10:20 am   #4
RF Burn
Hexode

Photos attached. It was the impedance (confirmed 70-80 Ohms) and the power rating and frequency range that I am interested in. I guess the range must cover at least 0 - 30MHz with good VSWR . . .

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200604_101123.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	207611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200604_101149.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	207612  
Old 4th Jun 2020, 3:58 pm   #5
Humber888
Heptode

Interesting that your relay is fitted with SO239 'UHF' sockets. These are non constant impedance types and worse at high frequencies than BNC or N-type. They could be the limiting factor in your relay's high frequency performance. However they were (are?) popular on 2-metre rigs so the relay may well be OK at 144MHz. I was going to suggest that if you or a local amateur radio enthusiast had a 2-metre TX and an SWR meter, you could put the relay in-line and see how it affects the SWR. However, most rigs are intended to feed 50 Ohm coax and aerials, so a 75 Ohm relay will be less than optimum. Might still be worth a try. My guess is still about 100W switching capacity.
Closed Thread