UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2018, 4:37 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: What does VT stand for?

To me 'VT' could be 'Video Terminal' as in the famous DEC terminals : VT05, VT52, VT100, VT220, etc.
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 5:20 pm   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

I've seen (different dates) magazines with VT1, VT2 etc for transistors; TR1, TR2 etc for transformers; Q1, Q2 etc for transistors; TR1, TR2 for transistors; T1, T2 etc for transformers. Obviously, TR used for both transistors AND transformers in the same diagram would be very confusing!

I've never known what VT or Q stood for! but in the 'day job' I have used Q for transistors since 1989. On a printed-circuit board, space for component legends can be at a premium - so why use TR or VT when a single letter will do?
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 12:49 pm   #23
ionburn
Heptode

I think a lot of the time unusual designations tend to be used to avoid confusion. An example of this is the use of 'i' for complex numbers in mathematics, but 'j' in electronics for the same thing, to avoid confusion with current. That said, there are only so many letters in the alphabet.
Old 7th Jan 2019, 2:25 am   #24
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

A lot of Continental Philips circuit diagrams going back to the 1940s had their coils & inductors annotated 'S' – this came from the German word for an inductor, "spule".

I have to admit tho', ever since I was a small boy old enough to read a circuit diagram, any form of inductor/choke., etc., always was, is, and will be, 'L' !

Chris Williams
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:36 am   #25
John10b
Nonode

Thank you ms660, post #2, for the link. Apart from the topic of transistor identification etc, I was interested in reading the article about Training and National Certificates and City and Guilds Telecommunications courses, which I completed many years ago.
Do they still run the C&G Telecommunications Course these days I wonder?
Cheers
John
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:27 am   #26
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Blaupunkt, and possibly other German Firms, used 'S' from the German word 'Sicherheit' (Apologies if the spelling isn't correct) (Security or safety) for fuses and circuit breakers.
The use of 'Q' for transistors, AFAIK, originated in N. America. IIRC, 'VT' for transistors was used by Radiomobile & Motorola in the 60s & 70s, and may also have been used by World Radio' 'Courier' brand of car radios in the 80s
Old 7th Jan 2019, 12:00 pm   #27
chriswood1900
Octode

Chris in post 24 I think the use of 'S' by Phillips may be from the Dutch Spoel for coil rather than the German as they would be unlikely to use a German word just after WW2. Perhaps one of our Dutch contributors could confirm.
ChrisW
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:24 pm   #28
m0cemdave
Octode

I have seen old German circuit diagrams in which some inductors were labelled with "D". It means "Drossel", which translates as "choke" (and has the same root as the English word "throttle").
Old 7th Jan 2019, 11:33 pm   #29
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I'd forgotten that Blaupunkt used 'D' for inductors, meaning 'Drossel', and I only worked for a Blaupunkt main dealer for 23 years, during which time I went on at least a half-dozen refresher courses at Bosch U.K.!
Closed Thread