UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2018, 7:10 pm   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default Emley Moor Tower.

On tonight, "Emley Moor tower" at 8pm BBC2, as part of "Monkman and Seagulls's Genius Guide to Britain"

Richard, BVWS member
Old 17th Sep 2018, 8:46 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Emley Moor Tower.

Unfortunately a very disappointing program that majors on their banter whilst driving from one location to the next and has the most minimal information or history of the sites visited.

Peter
Old 17th Sep 2018, 8:47 pm   #3
Dickie
Octode

Yes, very disappointing. I'm sorry to have bothered you all with this.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 17th Sep 2018, 8:58 pm   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

Hey, don't start taking responsibility for TV; the next time you spot something in the schedules, it might be great
Old 17th Sep 2018, 9:36 pm   #5
Kentode
Octode

Been on the ride at Blackpool, been up the lift at Emley Moor, been in the dish at Jodrell Bank!

Thanks Richard, I would have missed this if you hadn't posted.

BVWS member
Old 17th Sep 2018, 10:32 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Did you notice that the rocket ride was by Hiram Maxim father of Hiram Percy Maxim, founder of the ARRL?

I think the ride was made for a large exhibition, then sold to Blackpool South shore.

David
Old 18th Sep 2018, 1:31 pm   #7
ionburn
Heptode

It could have been so much more, but very little was said about anything and I think the size of the Jodrell Bank dish would really be obviously large without their fun and games. Thank you for the mention though as there are gems out there. What is really needed is a nerds channel lol Comeback Adam Hart-Davis and your bicycle!
Old 18th Sep 2018, 2:28 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Todays Lucy Mangan review in the Guardian sums it up beautifully but she was quite gentle really. Too many silly c-beebies or awkward bits, the lawn mower got about two seconds and the two presenters in a phone box, for just that bit too long, was really excruciating. It was either bad production and editing or maybe it just didn't work. The piece to camera in the Jodrell bowl was the best item and I've seen quite a bit of JB footage in the past. I don't think a "full on" nerdy approach would have worked either, it's a difficult balance. I'll watch the rest though...just in case!

Dave W
Old 18th Sep 2018, 3:02 pm   #9

I could tell it was a bit "light" at the start from the Simon Callow narrative (I think that was the best bit) Mark Evans* would have done a much much better job and probably a whole interesting programme for each of the items bar the 'phone box museum.

*He of https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06csy8c and other engineering programmes.

Old 18th Sep 2018, 6:02 pm   #10
Scott37
Tetrode

As an alternative (something completely different) you may be interested in this interview by the girl who featured in Test Card F (Carole Hersee): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIMuUIrXs5I
Old 18th Sep 2018, 7:40 pm   #11
ionburn
Heptode

Yes an interstesting pleasant few minutes. I wondered for years who she was.
Old 19th Sep 2018, 7:24 am   #12
bobsterkent
Hexode

Quote:
What is really needed is a nerds channel lol Comeback Adam Hart-Davis and your bicycle!
Or Tim Hunkin with his secret life of machines
Old 16th Nov 2018, 5:35 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

I suppose a number of Forum members saw the One Show piece last night re the Extra TX Tower Installation. I only did because I recorded Jeff Goldbloum. [I bought the CD last week after hearing it in Fopp. All a bit middle of the road but the band with organist and trumpeter, on the recording, is extraordinary-recommended]. The E M piece was ok apart from the presenter. Typically the questions an average viewer might have asked were not addressed ie how did viewers manage until the concrete tower was built [a spare mast shipped in from Winter Hill I believe] and what's to stop the new one freezing up?

A "Journalist" reporting the record price of a Hockney painting on Radio 4 this morning failed to actually name it. The only thing he needed to do really

Dave
Old 16th Nov 2018, 5:54 pm   #14
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
A "Journalist" reporting the record price of a Hockney painting on Radio 4 this morning failed to actually name it. The only thing he needed to do really
To be precise, it was the highest price ever paid for a painting by a living artist (clothed man at edge of pool watches swimmer in white trunks). Hockney (Yorkshire Royalty... if we had Royalty in Yorkshire, which we don't), sold it for £17k in 1972 and gets none of the $90M, but he's cool about it. Has he appeared on a Bank Note

B
Old 16th Nov 2018, 6:03 pm   #15
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes my daughter was laughing as I was shouting at the Radio "Is it A Bigger Splash"? As you say it wasn't! They did much better at 1pm Now if it was sport!

Dave
Old 16th Nov 2018, 7:19 pm   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

£17k was more than ten times the average annual salary at the time, so he didn't do too badly out of it!
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread