UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2017, 6:17 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Exclamation DIN Plug/Socket Incompatibility

Earlier today I was fitting a 5pin DIN plug to a length of cable terminated in two Phono plugs, and, having a couple of good quality metal bodied DIN Plugs handy, thought I might as well use one of these rather than a cheap plastic plug. When I came to insert the plug into the 5pin 180 degree socket on the back of a record player, I found that, even though I made certain the plug was fully inserted into the socket, there was no connection between the plug pins and the socket. No obvious reason why, except that the socket is one with wire wrap terminals.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 12:51 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: DIN Plug/Socket Incompatibility

Is it not a case of the socket pins being split like some valve socket pins do?
Old 13th Dec 2017, 12:22 pm   #3
elanman99
Hexode

From your description I am mystified why the pins on a DIN plug do not contact a DIN socket.

The wirewrap socket is a new one on me, I've seen PCB mount as well as conventional solder tags but never w/w.

Is it possible that its not fully mating?

Ian
Old 13th Dec 2017, 7:50 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

This socket is in an Amstrad RP33 which must be getting on for 30 years old, Ian, so DIN sockets with wire wrap tags go back a long way. Having tried an identical new DIN plug in the socket, which did make contact succesfully, I wondered if, when soldering the leads, I managed to distort two of the pins. In the end I bypassed the DIN socket and wired in a twin phono lead directly.
Closed Thread