UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2017, 2:20 pm   #1
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Stereo Console Bergamo GB (Grundig) - TX cooked

Hi folks,

This is a really lovely set - certainly in terms of the build quality of the electronics, from what I can see -not so fussed about the cabinet - but is currently kaput with a blown main transformer. The secondary is cooked and bubbles even off load, there is another winding, whose voltage I don't know yet - likely the the heaters. ECC85, ECH81, EAF801, ECC83 and wonderful ELL80 - a double output-pentode in one envelope for push-pull use - are all intact.

Anyone can source a cct diagram for me please? I think in view of the age of the thing, the bridge rectifier was probably SC for some reason. I will check later. There are no obvious catastrophic failures of any component.

My goal is to find out what the other secondary winding is first, before hunting for a replacement transformer.

BUt if anyone has prior experience with this beauty, be interested to know what aere the possible fault conditions leading to a cooked main transformer.

Thank you
Old 31st Aug 2017, 2:37 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Stereo Console Bergamo GB (Grundig) - TX cooked

Have you tried Radiomuseum?

You would be better to get the original TX rewound. Mike Barker or Ed Dining can sort that for you.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 31st Aug 2017, 2:42 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

Bergamo was a generic name for a range of radiograms made by Grundig over a number of years. The last ones were transistor.

Could this be yours....
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig..._st_cs200.html

If it is, very nice. Have a very soft spot for Grundig audio kit. Used to love to go to the showroom in Orchard Street, just off Oxford Street.

Good luck with it,

Peter
Old 31st Aug 2017, 6:59 pm   #4
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hey, Peter, that looks like the one! Thank you !

Amazing quality!

Maurice , good idea. It first I'd like to establish if there is any fault downstream before making such an investment ...
Old 31st Aug 2017, 9:07 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Al, always pays to use an HT fuse on these sets, either in the feed to the bridge or in the CT if it is full wave. It's a mod I do on most sets .
Transformer should rewind OK.

Ed
Old 31st Aug 2017, 9:58 pm   #6
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Cheers, Ed!good advice !! I'll PM you re the rewind, if it looks like there are no other faults downstream ...