UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2017, 11:51 am   #1
wrenrover
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Black Box MK111 valve swap

can anyone recommend changing the PCL83s for 30PL1's. does it offer any sound improvements and will they still clear the underneath of the deck etc.
thanks
Old 29th Aug 2017, 12:49 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye Black Box MK111 valve swap

The envelope is slightly taller, but unlikely to foul the Garrard autochanger. The amplifier circuit is very fussy and I have never seen the 30PL1 used as a substitiute.
Old 29th Aug 2017, 2:27 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

The BB/A black box was designed to use PCL83s and there is no reason to expect an improvement in sound quality by substituting a different valve that isn't even claimed to be an equivalent.

As indicated by Edward the BB/A employs an unusual and complex circuit; the design employs 2 negative feedback paths and 1 positive one, so any valve substitution may even have implications for stability.

In fact (and I'm sticking my neck out here) I don't know of any well designed amplifier that would benefit from a change of valve type without any changes to the original circuit design. There may be however benfits from using an improved version of a particular valve type.
Old 29th Aug 2017, 2:32 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It's certainly extremely unlikely to sound any better.
Old 29th Aug 2017, 3:28 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

PCL83s are cheap enough, regarded as a "TV" valve rather than an audio type. They are around £12 pair. Maybe a tad more for a matched pair. Why mess about with an non-recommended option?