UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2017, 7:35 pm   #1
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Extension speaker query

I've just been given the bass and tweeter speakers from a scrapped Bush SRG86 radiogram, which I can at last use as an extension for one channel of my own identical machine. However, when I looked on the back of mine, I find for each channel two wander plug sockets marked A and B, and a screw to disconnect the internal speaker. So far, so good, but what does the printing underneath them mean? Quote:

" Apply a potential +ve to A, -ve to B to move cone of internal L/S outwards"

What is a "potential positive and negative" and why would this be necessary?

Barry
Old 28th Aug 2017, 7:41 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Extension speaker query

This is in case both speakers are in the same room. If the cones move in opposite phase, then particularly for lower frequencies, cancellation will occur. Get the phasing wrong and the amount of bas will be reduced, in other words.

You can always try it both ways round and just listen.

If the extension speaker is the only one going and the internal one is disconnected, then phasing doesn't matter.

David

David
Old 28th Aug 2017, 7:45 pm   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I think it's just specifying the phase relationship, and saying that terminal A is connected to the speaker terminal which would produce a forward movement of the cone if a postive voltage were applied to it. In other words, 'A' would usually be coded red.

EDIT: Cross-posted with David, but if I understand correctly the idea is to have an external speaker for one stereo channel, in which case the phasing needs to be correct. You could just listen, try connecting a 1.5V cell to the extension speaker, or match the wiring of the extension to that of the existing speaker, seeing that they're identical.
Don't forget that you'll need some sort of crossover (possibly just a capacitor in series with the tweeter).

Last edited by dseymo1; 28th Aug 2017 at 7:50 pm.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 8:04 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Thanks! The "new" speakers came with the relevant capacitor, so if I connect the extension speaker in exactly the same way as the internal one is, I should be ok.

Barry
Old 29th Aug 2017, 10:33 am   #5
RojDW48
Nonode

Stereo set up records were all the rage way back when stereo recordings first came out - usually featuring a recording of Chabrier's ESPANA! and a plummy BBC lady announcer saying things like...'I am now speaking out of phase...' and advising you to reverse the connections on one speaker if you heard her in phase. Happy days!
Old 29th Aug 2017, 3:37 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
a plummy BBC lady announcer
Mary Maroussia
Old 29th Aug 2017, 8:25 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
Stereo set up records were all the rage way back when stereo recordings first came out - usually featuring a recording of Chabrier's ESPANA!
I just got a copy of "A Journey into Stereo Sound", a Decca LP which does have "Espana" on it, as well as trains hurtling between the two speakers, and a gentleman inviting us to play Ping (right speaker) Pong (left speaker. Great fun!

Barry
Old 30th Aug 2017, 6:28 am   #8
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
and a gentleman inviting us to play Ping (right speaker) Pong (left speaker.
And he may be David Gell.
Old 31st Aug 2017, 8:04 pm   #9
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
And he may be David Gell.
It's Geoffrey Sumner, whoever he is (or was!)

Barry
Old 31st Aug 2017, 9:19 pm   #10
paulsherwin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Sumner
Old 1st Sep 2017, 12:07 pm   #11
emeritus
Dekatron

You should be able to check the phase without using a special test record by simply feeding the same mono audio signal to both speakers from the same source. If the speakers are in phase, then the sound will appear to come from midway between them. If they are in antiphase, then the sound will appear to come from the sides. This is the method I use when rewiring headphones or earpieces to ensure the phase is correct.

I remember a radio programme about the resistance in Europe mentioning that a way that was found effective against jamming was to listen to the same BBC broadcast on two different radios spaced some distance apart, I think tuned to different frequencies. To the listener, the jamming signals appeared to come from the direction of the individual radios, whereas the wanted audio signal combined in phase so as to appear to come from a direction different from either of the interfering sounds. The ability of the human ear to discriminate between sounds from different directions allowed the wanted broadcast to be clearly understood.
Old 1st Sep 2017, 12:41 pm   #12
camtechman
Nonode

PAULSHERWIN

Thanks for that, I used to keep a notebook with names of various "Voice Artistes" but lost it in my move to Milton Keynes.

I did a little voice work back in the day and knew most of the various 'yappers'.

I aspired to be a 'Richard Burton' but that entailed drinking copious amounts of scotch & smoking 60 a day......too much for my liking.

Tony
Old 1st Sep 2017, 9:32 pm   #13
Tim
Dekatron

I have a "Scotch boy " test tape, the voice on which sounds very like John Snagge.