UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2017, 8:41 am   #1
leontiy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony HMK-212 help in repair

Hello everyone, I'm new here, looking for help in any way in the tricky situation... Not long time ago my friend gave me a gift: Sony HMK-212. However, when I power it ON, there is several issues with it.
1. The sound from turntable is... ugly. Looks like the needle height is higher then needed (5-7mm - it's OK). I think the needle have to be replaced. The speed of the drive (it has a direct drive) is less then expected, so need adjustment.
2. The RECORD led always on, no matter what is selected: PHONO, or TAPE, or FM... Maybe that's why the tape recorder has no sound.
3. The tuner can play stations from 66 to 78MHz, however, in my case it plays up to 102,5.
My question is... can anyone help me how to fix point 2 - I cannot find any service manuals to this device, on paper or electronic form? Can also someone tell me, how to extend the FM range, so it can receive stations from 80-86 (at least) to 108FM? I can provide any photos needed. I'm attaching the photo of the front panel of my device. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. I would really want to bring this old device back to life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony HMK-212Front.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	148556  
Old 28th Aug 2017, 12:11 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony HMK-212 help in repair

Fixing some of these problems will not be straightforward. What kind of experience do you have in dealing with something as complex as these? These music cenres are densly packaged electronically.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 1:04 pm   #3
peter_sol
Octode

The FM range on that model is for the Japanese territory.
You will not be able to alter it.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 1:14 pm   #4
leontiy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Fixing some of these problems will not be straightforward. What kind of experience do you have in dealing with something as complex as these? These music cenres are densly packaged electronically.
Yes, I understand the complexity of such repairs. I have an experience of dealing with some cassette tapes as well as with preamps and amplifiers itself. The problem is that there's no schematics. I have the necessary equipment (old analog oscill as well as the analog and digital multimeter). For now I'm trying to find service manual for something similar - HMK-119 for instance to understand the logic of electronic packing.
Old 28th Aug 2017, 10:06 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

At one time a converter was available to allow Japanese market VHF radios to tune to at least the lower part of the European band from about 87 to 99Mhz. The ones I've seen were made for use with Japanese spec. Car radios, rather than domestic sets, though.
Closed Thread