UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2013, 3:59 pm   #1
David Dunlop
Pentode

Default RCA AR88 Series Loudspeakers

I thought this might make an interesting topic in it's own right since there seems to be quite a few variations of the basic speaker for the AR88 series of receivers.

My AR88LF came with a few parts of an all black loudspeaker that was set up for a rear cover plate, but the data plate on the bottom of it is missing, so I do not know what model number it was, or it's year of manufacture.

A second speaker I recently purchased, is shown below. It is a 1944 item, identified as a Model MI-22201 and is unusual in that it is fitted on the front for a pocket watch holder, and has an optional output hole on the lower right corner of the rear cover for the speaker cable to exit, if needed.

The RCA Manual for the CR91 receiver uses the same photos of the loudspeaker as all other AR88 manuals do (the nickel plated grill speaker), but it references the speaker model number as being MI-8303D, which suggests at least three others models preceded it.

Perhaps, there are enough surviving, complete RCA AR88 loudspeakers among us all that we could post photos of them with their data plates and get a better idea of how these speakers actually evolved over time.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88LF Speaker1 copy.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	87024   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88LF Speaker2 copy.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	87025   Click image for larger version

Name:	AR88LF Speaker3 copy.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	87026  
Old 20th Jan 2014, 11:44 pm   #2
David Dunlop
Pentode

Default Re: RCA AR88 Series Loudspeakers

Thought I might as well copy a couple of photos over from my AR88LF thread showing my other RCA speaker. It looks to be a slightly earlier production version of the one above, so might be 1944 or late 1943 production. There is no provision on the front of it for the bakelite pocket watch holder, somebody added a phone jack to the lower front and the rear cover with the two columns of louvers is missing.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RCA Speaker 1.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	88048   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCA Speaker 3.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	88049  
Old 26th Jan 2014, 11:16 pm   #3
David Dunlop
Pentode

I was browsing on the net this afternoon, looking for any other variations in design for these RCA speakers and ran across one that has just been posted for sale on eBay UK. Only one photo of the front was posted and I do not want to copy the photo over to our forum and step on eBay's toes, but the noticeable difference in this speaker is that instead of the four internal threaded posts to mount the speaker assembly inside the housing, this unit appears to have four machine screws visible that accomplish this task.

The fact a phone plug assembly is peeking out from the back of the speaker suggests this particular item may have been extensively reworked in it's lifetime, but I am not certain of that fact. If anyone has ever seen one of these AR88 Series speakers with factory original machine screw mounts for the speaker, please let us know and we can add this variation to the list.

David

Last edited by AC/HL; 27th Jan 2014 at 4:12 am. Reason: Forum rules
Old 26th Jan 2014, 11:42 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
... I do not want to copy the photo over to our forum and step on eBay's toes...
Personally speaking, I'd have no hesitation in doing this, so long as the photo were removed if someone objected (which is v. unlikely especially if you say where it's come from as opposed to simply nicking it).
Old 27th Jan 2014, 12:32 am   #5
David Dunlop
Pentode

Fair enough point, so with due acknowledgement to eBay UK, here is what this RCA speaker looks like, from the front at least.

David

I think I also ran across a couple of other variations (possibly on this site) so I will take a look this week and copy them forward as well, if I can find them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	$_1-6.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	88294  
Old 27th Jan 2014, 12:56 pm   #6
turretslug
Dekatron

I'm just a casual onlooker to this sort of thing but I've noticed a couple of occasions recently where an AR88 speaker has actually sold for more than a concurrently offered receiver! And I passed up the opportunity of an NOS speaker for a song in the late 'seventies. Not that I'm a mercenary or venal sort of chap but it goes to show that they're worth bothering to look after.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 5:11 pm   #7
David Dunlop
Pentode

Case in point on value of these speakers recently, is this one that has just showed up in the USA on eBay. As per the photos attached, it is also a 1944 production from RCA Montreal, with a Canadian Serial Number C-00413. That would put is some 2500 units earlier up the line than mine. This USA speaker also has the mounting screws in the upper left front for the bakelite pocket watch holder, but the rear cover plate does not have the second speaker cable outlet in the lower right corner, and the original speaker cable has been replaced.

Interesting to see the speaker mounting on this one is four machine screws again. I wonder if the original factory screw posts were prone to corrosion/failure? The other possibility might be that RCA used some form of locktite or lacquer on the hardware to prevent things from loosening up. I know RCA did this with the hardware installed in the Wireless Set No. 19. If somebody was not expecting that and put too much effort into removing the nuts holding the speaker element in place, I could see them being sheared off quite easily.

David
Attached Images

Old 31st Jan 2014, 5:27 pm   #8
David Dunlop
Pentode

While I think of it, I tracked down the photos Ian had posted some time ago of his AR88 Speaker. He was kind enough to spec out the details of his rear cover for me so I can replicate it on my second speaker. Thanks again, Ian.

I forgot to ask Ian if the data plate survives on his speaker, but it is interesting to note it also has the pocket watch holder holes on the front and lacks the secondary speaker cable outlet on the rear cover. And it definitely has the original speaker mounting studs undamaged. What is also very interesting with Ian's speaker is the presence of the four wall mounting brackets fitted to the rear corners of the assembly. I have not seen that nice little touch before.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0235-2.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	88474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0234-2.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	88475  
Old 15th Mar 2014, 11:53 pm   #9
David Dunlop
Pentode

I have now tracked down a very nice bakelite pocket watch holder for the front of my RCA AR88 Speaker. Of course that now means the hunt for an appropriate wartime, military pocket watch must be put into effect.

I am thinking that of all the variations for these pocket watches, the one that will likely look the best with the AR88 Communications Receiver set up will be the watch with the all black dial, white numbers and white second sweep hand. Might be a bit hard to find one with luminous paint that still works, but who knows what might turn up down the road.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bakelite Pocket watch Holder copy.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	90280  
Old 14th Jun 2014, 8:45 pm   #10
David Dunlop
Pentode

While rehabing at home recently, I ran across this interesting RCA Speaker on eBay from the USA. The look, and the dimensions the seller provided, are identical to the RCA AR88 series of speakers. What you will note as unusual, however, is the round red phenolic knob in the lower front right corner. There are traces near the upper portion of the knob of three locations stencilled ' 1 2 3 ' which suggests this control was not fully variable, but three position selective. Set up for listening for thee fixed volumes or three different sources perhaps?

I am curious if this is indeed another variation in RCA's series of speakers for the AR88 Comm Receivers, or a speaker for something totally unrelated.

I will post a photo of the back of it in a moment. Working with a new iPad Air at the moment and posting multiple photos at once is proving a challenge!

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	94137  

Last edited by David Dunlop; 14th Jun 2014 at 8:52 pm.
Old 14th Jun 2014, 8:51 pm   #11
David Dunlop
Pentode

Here is the back of this speaker as promised. There does not appear to be the usual exit hole in the lower right hand side of the cabinet (could just be the angle of the photos, so I am assuming the speaker lines just exited the open back. The two mounting straps across the top and bottom is different from other AR88 speakers I have seen to date and I just noticed what appears to be three separate coils of wire tucked inside the box. Three separate sources, perhaps for the switch on the front to choose from?

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	94138  
Old 14th Jun 2014, 11:29 pm   #12
Mans Veldman
Retired Dormant Member

Here are some pictures of my AR-88 speaker. It has a black wrinkle finish and the rear cover is missing, I always thought it was supposed to be without a rear cover but from David's post I learned there should be one with louvres. On the speaker there is a small plug mounted to connect the cord. I do have the original, cotton woven, cord but it's not on the photographs.

The speaker has a small RCA decal and there is a datestamp. I am not shure how to read this format with the year in the middle. It could be either March 5th 1944 or May 3rd 1944. Has anyone a clue about the date?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2708.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	94150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2709.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	94151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2705.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	94152  
Old 15th Jun 2014, 12:13 am   #13
David Dunlop
Pentode

Hello Mans.

The lack of a rear cover on your particular speaker is very likely correct at the time it was made.

What we are beginning to discover is the design of these speakers definitely was not constant. I evolved with a number of variations showing up.

RCA production records have probably long since disappeared, so the only means we have today to understand the manufacture of these speakers is from looking at the survivors like yours, and if lucky, being able to match them up with production dates to try and see how and when changes took place.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

David
Old 15th Jun 2014, 1:36 pm   #14
David Dunlop
Pentode

Mans.

Sorry, I should have thought of this earlier. Is there by any chance a set of small holes on the bottom of your speaker in a rectangular pattern? This is where RCA usually mounted the speaker data plate.

I have not run across a speaker so far with these holes missing. Either the data plate is present, it is missing, but one can see a shadow of where it had been, or the holes show no sign at all of ever having been used.

David
Old 15th Jun 2014, 9:53 pm   #15
Mans Veldman
Retired Dormant Member

I took a quick look David. There is no data plate and there are no holes indicating it has been removed earlier.

There are also no holes on the back indicating en rear plate has been mounted once. So I presume this speaker is original without a rear plate.
Old 22nd Nov 2014, 5:28 pm   #16
David Dunlop
Pentode

Well, it has been a while, but things have finally settled down a bit I have been able to start looking at things Wireless once again.

Just seen another RCA AR88 Speaker for sale in California. Looks like an RCA Montreal product as the serial number is prefixed by the letter 'C' and the remains of a C Broad Arrow yellow stamp can be seen close to the ID Plate on the bottom. Rear cover plate is still there. interior wiring looks like it may have been redone and possibly the speaker element replaced.

Interestingly, the serial number is C-00413, dated 1944 and it has no hardware in place on the upper front left corner for mounting a pocket watch holder. My speaker has this hardware in place, is dated 1944 and has SN C-02608. So that means for some portion of 1944, RCA Montreal produced 2,195 of these speakers and somewhere in that run the mod for the pocket watch holder came into effect.

Thought I would pass this all along.

Cheers for now,

David

Last edited by AC/HL; 22nd Nov 2014 at 6:18 pm. Reason: Forum rules
Old 24th Nov 2014, 9:52 pm   #17
gm0ekm cecil
Tetrode

The R1556A receiver (AR88D) in my collection has this accompanying loudspeaker. The actual speaker was made by the Rola Company England.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rola 1 (1).JPG
Views:	245
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	100592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rola 1 (2).JPG
Views:	299
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	100593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rola 1 (3).JPG
Views:	419
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	100594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rola 1 (4).JPG
Views:	238
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	100595  
Old 28th Nov 2014, 6:24 pm   #18
DangerMan
Heptode

I also have an original AR88 speaker, identical to the one shown above by Mans.

It was bought new in its original unopened packing box from a surplus store in Manchester about 1965, and did not have a back panel from new.
It has no holes either for attaching a back plate or for a data plate, and there is no plate anywhere.
Sadly the lead has gone AWOL, along with the 3 pin plug that plugs onto the speaker unit.

(Does anyone have such a lead that they would sell?)

David, if you would like photo's or details of any markings I will gladly dig it out and post them here... just let me know if it's of interest.
Old 29th Nov 2014, 4:51 am   #19
David Dunlop
Pentode

No rush, but photos of any stamps or markings would be of interest. I wonder if your speaker might have been RCA production from their American, Camden, New Jersey plant? You didn't happen to save the original packing box by any chance?

David
Old 29th Nov 2014, 12:01 pm   #20
ms660
Dekatron

Loudspeaker for my AR88, 'scuse fuzzy pics.

S/No: C-1576

D.O.M: 1944.

Lawrence.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ar88speaker 002.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	100798   Click image for larger version

Name:	ar88speaker 004.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	70.8 KB