UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2016, 12:10 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default "Delta dipole" Band-II FM receive antenna.

Locally, there are a number of these interestingly-styled broadcast-FM receive antennas. I guess they date from the early/mid-1960s when FM first appeared here in the UK.

The elegantly-but-non-traditionally-shaped folded dipole *must* be a cosmetic/sales-feature as I can see no possible way this can actually improve gain or directivity!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1835.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	128995  
Old 21st Aug 2016, 5:28 pm   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: "Delta dipole" Band-II FM receive antenna.

Never seen one like that before. Usually it's just a folded dipole driven element. Possibly designed like that for more strength, or just a sales gimmick to make their brand of aerials stand out from the norm.
Old 21st Aug 2016, 5:36 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I've never seen one either. They must be local to your part of the world.
Old 21st Aug 2016, 6:08 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The one photographed is in Woolhampton (between Reading and Newbury) and is visible from the A4 Bath Road.

There are several more of the same type visible along the A4 between Newbury and Thatcham. I guess there was an aerials-company in the area whose salesmen pushed this particular design hard in the 1960s.
Old 21st Aug 2016, 6:35 pm   #5
Andrew B
Heptode

The slope on the dipole is to take advantage of the new variable slope valves in the radio??

Andrew
Old 21st Aug 2016, 6:39 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

*grin* I think it was more inspired by 1960s "Delta-wing" aircraft. Who wouldn't want something inspired by a Vulcan bomber on their chimney to demonstrate to the locals that they were receiving the new transmissions?
Old 21st Aug 2016, 8:17 pm   #7
RogerEvans
Hexode

This is a complete guess - does increasing the spread of the folded dipole have any bandwidth advantage?

Roger
Old 21st Aug 2016, 8:34 pm   #8
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Yes, there should be an improvement in bandwidth. As a general rule, the more space an antenna element occupies the wider the bandwidth. Having said that, it is still possible that marketing was the main aim here.
Old 21st Aug 2016, 10:21 pm   #9
Hartley118
Nonode

That looks like a Maxview aerial. Back in 1976 in the Cambridge area, our local aerial contractors fitted them as standard. Maxview is a Kings Lynn company - still going - that nowadays makes a feature of aerials for caravans, boats etc.
http://www.maxview.co.uk/support-and-information

Ours seemed to work pretty well in those primitive days when the only stereo FM available in Cambridge was all the way from Wrotham. Fortunately, signal distribution has improved since then!

I always wondered whether there was any theoretical basis for that 'delta' dipole element. I decided it was probably just a more robust folded dipole designed to withstand the fenland winds!

Martin