UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2018, 8:22 pm   #1
Earczar
Retired Dormant Member

Default Brenell Mk5 M

Hi everyone this is my first post, im looking for some help trying to identify where a few components that need to be re-soldered. It took a long journey to Canada from the UK, so i hardly blame it letting go. It seems untouched but who knows? Im going to do a full recap eventually but want to have it in order first. The first resistor is 180kohm and the second says 350pF. The 350 has a flat connection so it should have been easy to spot but im totally stumped. Also they are both connected to the middle wafer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	172026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1679.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	172027  
Old 5th Nov 2018, 2:27 pm   #2
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Brenell Mk5 M

These values don't correspond to anything I can find on the schematics. What is the function of the switch they connect to?

If you've imported the machine from the UK I assume you know the speed will be wrong unless it's a 60Hz version?
Old 5th Nov 2018, 4:35 pm   #3
Earczar
Retired Dormant Member

I thought the same thing with the values. After seeing other pictures this one must be modified. The heads are not that fantastic, i think ill strip it down and rebuild it as a preamp. The switch that they are on is to change the speed. Theres other loose connection i cant trace as well. I took a chance and unfortunately this will be a bigger project then expected. I do have a step up transformer but that wont solve my speed problem right? Unless i just run it at 11.75 ips or whatever it will roll at and only playback on same deck.
Old 5th Nov 2018, 7:28 pm   #4
rontech
Heptode

I had a Brenell Mk 5 in the early 1960's I seem to remember the capstan sleeve was brass and removeable, with the large one for 3.5, 7, 15 i.p.s and a smaller one for 1 7/8 3.5 and 7 i.ps.

If you know somebody with a good precision lathe, then suitable diameter capstans in brass may correct for the difference 60 hz / 50 Hz.
Old 5th Nov 2018, 8:53 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

They were available in those days direct from Brenell, so easy to replicate.
The switch you referred to changes the equalisation of the amplifier to suit the ‘speed’ of the deck. It doesn’t change the speed, which is on the main deck.
Old 5th Nov 2018, 10:35 pm   #6
Earczar
Retired Dormant Member

I have both speed sleeves. Anyone know the size to replicate a 60hrtz motor.
And yes they are definitely brass. Its possible i could get someone i used to work with to fix it on the lathe. Im starting to feel hope again on this deck.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 10:02 am   #7
rontech
Heptode

I imagine that a 50Hz motor will run fast by 6/5 (i.e. x 1.2 ) on North American 60 Hz supply. The tape speed will be defined by capstan circumferences per second. (pi x d) i.ps. where d is capstan diameter in inches. pi = 3.142 for practical purposes.

I think the above is correct; it is 60 yrs since passing my 6th form math's exam.

Last edited by rontech; 6th Nov 2018 at 10:04 am. Reason: typo
Old 6th Nov 2018, 10:40 am   #8
Stevie342000
Hexode

If I recall correctly the standard size of the capstan sleeves is 1/2" and 1". You could always measure them with calipers.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 11:12 am   #9
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
I had a Brenell Mk 5 in the early 1960's I seem to remember the capstan sleeve was brass and removeable, with the large one for 3.5, 7, 15 i.p.s and a smaller one for 1 7/8 3.5 and 7 i.ps.

If you know somebody with a good precision lathe, then suitable diameter capstans in brass may correct for the difference 60 hz / 50 Hz.
The first passable tape deck I bought was a Collaro Studio and I recall fitting a capstan sleeve so it could run at 15 ips.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 11:26 am   #10
Earczar
Retired Dormant Member

I'll deffinately measure them up with calipers, they look close to 1/2 and 1". Thanks for the math lesson Rontech. This is my first over the pond attempt if that is not already clearly obvious....lol
Old 6th Nov 2018, 11:34 am   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

I would suggest that you keep the originals and get new ones made. You’ll have the originals for reference.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 2:14 pm   #12
wd40addict
Octode

My small capstan was slightly under 0.5", about 0.495" from memory, but my machine has the Pabst motor. It's possible the earlier AEI based models had the slightly larger diameter as I don't believe that motor was fully synchronous. Barry may know more.

The added components could be someone's attempt to implement NAB eq.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 3:26 pm   #13
rontech
Heptode

The lathe needs to be in good condition, errors in concentricity between capstan bore and
the outer surface will manifest itself as wow & flutter
Old 6th Nov 2018, 5:26 pm   #14
barrymagrec
Octode

I am not sure if I am the Barry referred to in #12 but as far as I know all Mk 5s had synchronous capstan motors, be they AEI or Papst.

I don`t know if the Papst and AEI motors ran at the same speed anyway as Papst had a fondness for 6 pole (1000rpm) motors if I remember correctly.

I am not sure how or even if Brenell catered for 60hHz operation but I would have assumed it would be by changing the stepped motor pulley rather than either of the capstan sleeves.

Whether or not you machine the capstan sleeve or the motor pulley the point above about concentricity is well made. If I were making either I would first machine the bore to the correct dimension and then machine a mandrel to mount the piece on and finish the O.D. - easy enough for a competent machinist.

Everything I vaguely remember about Brenell tape machines relates to a period over forty years ago.

Last edited by barrymagrec; 6th Nov 2018 at 5:44 pm.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 11:16 pm   #15
Earczar
Retired Dormant Member

Good point, on just changing the pulley. Thats how any Teac motor ive worked on had with the 60-50hrtz motor option. Well thanks for all the speed tips.
Next step is rebuilding this thing. Im getting a better handle on this model. It usually takes me awhile to start processing the schematics but im getting there slowly.
Closed Thread