UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2018, 9:19 pm   #1
mikepeak
Retired Dormant Member

Default Unknown radio (1920s 3 valve TRF, reaction, Ediswan logo)

Hello

I need help.

In a recent clear out of my garage I came across 2 old (forgotten about) radios which were bequeathed to me when Grandmother died some 40+ years ago.

One is Bush DAC 90A which still works.

The other is (almost) a complete mystery. It is a dc powered, 3 valve, trf set, with reaction and with leads for externally connected HT and LT batteries and loudspeaker. These features would lead me to believe that is probably a 1920s set. The only information the set carries is an Ediswan logo under the lid.

I have now spent a few hours searching the internet (using a variety of search terms) for images and or information on the set and found nothing like it.

I have attached some photos. I hope some of you out there can help.

Thanks in anticipation

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ediswan logo.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	172030   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio inside.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	172031   Click image for larger version

Name:	trf radio.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	172032  
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 11:03 pm   #2
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown radio (1920s 3 valve TRF, reaction, Ediswan logo)

The valve inside the coil may just be a spare and not connected to anything. The coil and the LP2 holder look to be Ediswan parts.

It may have been a kit from the late 20's?
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 11:37 pm   #3
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
In the late 1920s Edswan produced a number of units that could be plugged together to make the basis of a radio.
I think they could be bought as a kits (for various numbers of valves) or individually.
Your set appears to be a homebuilt or kit set based on two of these units but with parts from other makers. (Ormond slow motion drives, Lissen LF transformer etc.)
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ediswa...upling_un.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rare-1927-ediswan-universal-rc-coupling-units-old-valve-radio-parts.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	172044  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 2:57 pm   #4
mikepeak
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you PJL and Mr Moose. Your replies have been most helpful.

However, whilst I have the expertise to restore the Ediswan Kit Radio I do not have the time, due to other projects and family commitments. (The garage clear out was to create space for other projects including the restoration of a 1966 BSA A65 Thunderbolt.) So I have decided to sell the two radios.

The Bush DAC 90A is quite common and I can estimate an asking price from recent sales on auction websites.

The Ediswan is a different matter. Very difficult for me to gain an understanding of what this might be worth.

Does any one have an idea of what the Ediswan might be worth.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike PEAK
Closed Thread