UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2018, 2:46 pm   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Ultra 6316 radiogram - problem with radio section

I have been asked by a colleague to look at a radiogram, as described above, where it is reported that the record player function is fine, but that the radio doesn't work.

It was noted by the owner that turning the tuning knob has no effect - and having extracted the chassis the reason is obvious in that, as I had assumed from the description, the tuning cord is broken. That would be fairly straightforward to fix, as I have the diagram showing how it should run. The problem lies in why it has broken - the tuning capacitor is jammed solid.

As can be seen from the image below, the cap is in the fully-open position and refuses to budge from there. Although I note that some of the outer vanes are bent, none appear to be fouling anything. As the gears on the right appear to be correctly meshed, I would be grateful for any suggestions of what else to look for that may account for a total lack of movement in this item.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra 6316 tuning cap.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	169977  
Old 28th Sep 2018, 6:59 pm   #2
john.north
Pentode

Default Re: Ultra 6316 radiogram - problem with radio section

Hello Dave,
The drive pinion has become solid because the grease has dried out.
Remove the two circlips and using mild heat from a hair drier it will come out.
Clean the shaft with ipa thoroughly and the hole and regrease. When reassembling remember to spring load the drive to allow for backlash. Don’t lose the spring, it tends to go miles when disassembling. Backlash should be preloaded two teeth only. The vanes are ok as they are.
John.
Old 28th Sep 2018, 7:17 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks John. Since posting I had pretty much narrowed it down to the shaft with the small gear wheel on the end, which I assume is the pinion, and removed the two circlips. I'll report back once I've found a working hairdryer and warmed the pinion sufficiently to get some movement out of it. I'll look out for the spring!
Old 28th Sep 2018, 7:21 pm   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

As John has said, the bent vanes are most likely a factory set up to minutely alter the capacitance so that both sections are in track.
I am lazy and heat the bearing round the spindle with a soldering iron and then oil once unseized.
Old 29th Sep 2018, 1:23 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Thanks John and Sam. I decided to use a soldering iron (my 60W chassis-work one) to localise the heating. This enabled me first to get some movement out of the spindle and then withdraw it to clean off the treacle from both spindle and socket. It is now re-assembled, lubricated and running freely. After restringing, everything is now moving as it should be.

As the owner reports the unit to be working OK as a record player, I might even risk powering it up now and see whether there is any life in the radio.
Old 29th Sep 2018, 3:48 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Fortunately, there was nothing wrong electrically with the radio and it picked up stations successfully on all bands except short wave - and its owner seemed a happy bunny when hearing it over the telephone when I rang up to give the news. Just waiting for the glue to dry in a split in the wood of one of the legs, then it should be ready for collection once I've screwed that back on.
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 11:24 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Just a quick update on this. Once I had put everything back together I noticed that all was not OK. There was no sound emanating from the right-hand speaker. Eventually, I tracked the fault to a dirty contact in the switch to select either loudspeakers or headphones, so it was easily sorted. I'm glad to say that I now have a bit more space on my living room floor, as the radiogram is now back with its dellighted owner.

Thanks for the help in achieving a successful outcome.