UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2020, 7:51 pm   #1
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default BBC local radio on MW

This announced today on this BBC blog.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthe...c-212cf5f7c86f
Old 13th Jan 2020, 8:44 pm   #2
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: BBC local radio on MW

I noticed that Newcastle had stooped advertising MW as an option for listening to the Football (because it covers SUFC and NUFC they alternate home and away matches between FM and DAB/MW) so thought this would happen.

It’s a shame as it’s the only station at that end and low power so useful for testing.

Thankfully they’ve advised “For most people, re-tuning their radios or cars to FM or DAB is likely to be the simplest solution“.

John
Old 13th Jan 2020, 10:26 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

No mention of Radio Gloucester in that list. They still have two MW Transmitters, one near Bourton on the Water, gives good reception here, and is useful in my workshop for checking that a MW Radio is working, interference permitting over the whole waveband (Gloucester is on 1413kHz)
Old 13th Jan 2020, 10:40 pm   #4
poppydog
Banned

Nearly all my radios are lw/mw only, there is nothing else really worth listening to when radio Cornwall goes off air on mw this year. The French stations are disappearing on lw as well perhaps I should have started stamp collecting instead..

Poppydog
Old 13th Jan 2020, 11:03 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Radio Merseyside and Radio Manchester have been off MW a while. Just checked Radio Lancashire and the MW transmitter is off air with a fault, I don’t know how long it’s been off air.
From what the BBC say, they have to save money so switching off little used services is going to happen. Always causes someone a problem.

I started the thread in case members didn’t know and were wondering what was wrong with their radios, save some unnecessary fault finding.
Old 14th Jan 2020, 2:25 am   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

Looks like Radio Solent are going to have to reduce their sports coverage. They've regularly used 3 or maybe even 4 different frequencies to cover different sporting events simultaneously.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 1:50 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Continued here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=162962
Closed Thread