UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2019, 6:26 pm   #1
Bedderz
Retired Dormant Member

Default Oh well seems I have wasted my time

Hi

I have just joined the forum as it seemed like a possible place to try and find some parts I require for a trio 9130,however,having read the mods recent notes it would appear as a new member I am not aloud to ask.... great back to the drawing board.

Best 73's

2E0FHI
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 8:12 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Oh well seems I have wasted my time

What recent mod notes are you referring to?

You are allowed to post requests for parts so long as you don't make it a regular thing without contributing to the forums in some other way.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 9:39 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Ask away, then how about a quick write up about why you needed the parts and your success/failure with using them if obtained?

Is a Trio 9130 "vintage"- roughly speaking over 25 years old or so?

There is a "Modern Technology" section too, though you need at least ten posts of a "vintage" nature for access there. A few interesting snippets about any vintage amateur gear or radio/hifi stuff you may have or have fixed is always of interest. Anything using lethal voltages will definitely qualify .

A pair of 4CX250s to boost the output of the little Trio up to 400W PEP (errr -ish) perhaps? They'll need around 2kV up 'em!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 9:58 am   #4
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Not the best introduction to the forum to be asking people for help. Plenty of info on the internet on these, service manuals with parts lists etc, spares or repair units appearing on eBay from time to time etc.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 2:32 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There's perhaps a different "tone" on here as Steve suggests Beddez. It's moderation can be more rigorous than elsewhere but that's for a number of good reasons. On the other hand, members are very generous and welcoming-going to extreme lengths to assist very often.
As the Moderator suggested, not everything is hard and fast. It's often a matter of common sense and attitude eg re your intention to find parts and the 25 year "guideline".There are strict rules that must be followed but flexibility in terms of more general matters. If in doubt just ask.
Ideally this is a mutually supportive self help group of enthusiasts but "one off" enquirers sometimes stay around. I notice that there is often an anticipation of rejection [which is very unlikely to happen] and I do wonder where that comes from in terms of other on-line experiences? . Nobody gets put down or has a bad time here, except for the very occasional individual who can't be reasoned with, sometimes after receiving a great deal of help already. I suggest that you, perhaps, provide more details re your requirements in the Amateur and Military Radio section [as Herald said] before "parts wanted"... oh and welcome to the Forum!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 23rd Oct 2019 at 2:48 pm.
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 3:38 pm   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Some, or most of the audio lists are populated by trolls and those with strong opinions one way or another. I've resigned from multiple lists after not very long because of that.

Perhaps that would explain the OP's concern.

But that is not the case here. Everyone is as helpful as the day is long, and not at all judgmental.

As Dave says, moderation is pretty hands on, and anything that contravenes the rules is likely to get short shrift and simply be deleted.

Craig
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 5:42 pm   #7
DonaldStott
Octode

Hopefully Bedderz will come back and read these helpful and welcoming Posts?

For the record, here is the Kenwood/Trio TR-9130:-

http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/tr9130.htm

And here is the forty page Service Manual: -

http://www.rigpix.com/kenwood/tr9130_service.pdf
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 5:51 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

He has been back and will have read the first 3 posts. Just a misunderstanding regarding the wording of one of the rules. At least he read them, many don't!
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 10:00 pm   #9
M3VUV51
Banned

So what's the issue with the 9130, is it display segments going AWOL?
Old 24th Oct 2019, 12:45 am   #10
fetteler
Octode

I decided to delete my own comment
Old 24th Oct 2019, 12:45 am   #11
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Oh well seems I have wasted my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedderz View Post

. . however, having read the mods recent notes it would appear as a new member I am not aloud [sic: allowed] to ask.... great - back to the drawing board.

Best 73's
2E0FHI
Three things could be relevant here:
1. Forum rule A8, q.v.
2. Forum rule B8, q.v.
3. The limitation on P.Ms. for new members:
"Until a member has one message approved in the forum they will not be able to send or receive any PMs."

I hope that this posting may help the OP.

Al.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 1:05 am   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It's perhaps indicative that so many members were concerned to make sure that Bedderz didn't get the wrong idea or feel rejected but actually, it's not the first time that OP's have read the comments and still not responded. Sadly, we may be left to draw our own conclusions

Dave W
Ww
Old 24th Oct 2019, 1:31 am   #13
Julesomega
Nonode

If the problem is with the Tx PA, the recent thread Kenwood TR-9130 problem with PA may be of interest

It's good here
Old 24th Oct 2019, 11:10 am   #14
David Simpson
Nonode

We are, I guess - as it says at the top of the page - a Discussion Forum for matters relating to VRR&R. Thankfully, the Forum has sub-sections relating
to 'Offered' & 'Wanted' thread posts. However, over the years, there have been instances of mercenary 'radio business' folk elbowing their way into these pages. So I guess that Moderators need to be wary of such activities. On the other hand, with an aging vintage radio fraternity, we need to welcome younger 'new blood'.
It would seem that Bedderz's Trio 9130 is of 1980's vintage & therefore passes the 25 year rule. So if he is starting out in vintage pursuits with a basic transceiver, hopefully he will contribute in the future with other vintage projects.
So Bedderz, have a good lewk at all the info on your Trio which kind Forum folk have provided, then keep us posted on your repair project. 'Tis just been a misunderstanding, eh ?

Regards, David
Old 24th Oct 2019, 12:20 pm   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

If Bedderz does decide to return, he will be welcome as are all new members. I think we're as clear as we can be, without a response, that the matter has been resolved.
Closed Thread