UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2016, 1:15 pm   #121
richrussell
Heptode

Default Re: Hi From Cathy Lissen/Eveready Kenilworth??

I'm not sure that 1930's radios weren't very loud - my Invicta AW57 positively booms out very crisp, clear sound from its 10" speaker. Way louder than any of my 1950s sets go.

For an aerial I've generally found that 5m or so of wire draped round the picture rail or along a plastic gutter outside works well enough for UK MW stations.
Old 10th Oct 2016, 2:42 pm   #122
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Hi Ash,

Nice meeting you and Cathy at Hornsea Rally yesterday.

Great news that the set is working now!

If the voltages (screens, anodes etc), look OK on the set, I guess the two most likely things causing lower volume than you would expect would be the lack of an aerial and/or low emission from the output valve. If you wanted to bring the radio to my place, I have an amplified magnetic loop aerial (as featured in the Autumn BVWS Bulletin) which performs really well in terms of both signal strength and low noise, and also have a 60ft wire aerial at low level for comparison, so you could see how your set (or should I say 'Cathy's set'!), performs on each of those. I can also test the valves here for you if you wish.

Drop me a PM if that's helpful. (I won't be around from 13 - 20 October).

The magnetic loop aerial is well within your capabilities to build, at a fraction of the cost of a commercial one, and is compact. My loop consists of a 2 M x 2 M square of 15mm copper tube with the amplifier fixed at the feed point at the top, with the loop mounted on stand-off plastic pipe brackets on the outside of the gable end of the workshop. The DC to power the amplifier being fed via the coax, rather like a TV masthead amplifier. It works a treat. (I didn't make it - it was a prototype supplied to me by Gary Tempest, the designer and developer).
Old 10th Oct 2016, 5:05 pm   #123
paulsherwin

You can also build your own external ferrite rod aerial from junk box components, either amplified or passive. This ancient thread describes one I built over 10 years ago: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...read.php?t=579
Old 11th Oct 2016, 1:57 pm   #124
cathy_vintage
Pentode

Sounds good Paul ...definitely on my to-do project list.
Old 27th Mar 2023, 1:18 pm   #125
Station X

Thread reopened in anticipation of further posts by the OP.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Mar 2023, 11:19 am   #126
telstar
Octode

Hi Cathy.
I used to have a Lissen "Caernarvon" when I lived in Suffolk in the 1980's (wish that I still had it!), but due to lack of money then I sold it to U.S.A.F staff that used to be based at the former Bentwaters Air Base in Suffolk (now long closed).
There was also an Ever Ready 1930's radio in Leeds at Sue Ryder shop in Headingley, but that soon got snapped up (it had no back panel)
Regards
Mike
Closed Thread