UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2012, 1:27 pm   #1
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dial removal

Hi
I have a Bush portable radio TR82 C which I need to remove the tuning knob from so that I can get to the chassis. Now the manual says it just pulls of but mine is stuck fast, the surrounding dial is just plastic so I am concerned that to much pulling and it will crack. Has anyone tried to remove one of these and can offer any ideas of the best way to do it.
Cheers in advance Mike
Old 13th Mar 2012, 1:39 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Dial removal

The usual method is to slip a boot lace behind it, getting the lace as near to the centre as possible, then pulling whilst gently rocking it at the same time.

Take care to ensure the lace doesn't snag the cursor.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 1:47 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Darren's advice is spot-on. Not too much rocking though!

Try to get the cord/lace in a figure-of-eight shape, so that it's pulling evenly on both sides of the spindle, not just one one side.

Nick.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 3:55 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

May I add, best not go in to a cold workshop and attack it, perspex is slightly less brittle at room tempreture (temperature). John.
Old 13th Mar 2012, 5:59 pm   #5
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

I tried this method with some thin nylon cord plus I also managed to get the thin tube you get on a WD40 can under the dial and get a few drops on the shaft then laid it, dial down to let it soak into the back of the knob, it worked a treat.
Many thanks Mike
Old 13th Mar 2012, 6:18 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Be careful with things like thin nylon cord as they localise the pulling tension too much and can crack the dial. Things like boot laces are much better, being softer and thicker.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 2:04 pm   #7
camtechman
Nonode

Mike, don't take offense at my question but is it an original British TR82C and not the later Chinese reproduction model?
Old 14th Mar 2012, 2:06 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
...the later Chinese reproduction model?
where the dial is released by removing a screw from the back, if I remember rightly.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 2:09 pm   #9
camtechman
Nonode

Correct
Old 14th Mar 2012, 2:10 pm   #10
camtechman
Nonode

Also 'affectionately' referred to as the "Wonky U" version.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 4:26 pm   #11
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Mike, don't take offense at my question but is it an original British TR82C and not the later Chinese reproduction model?
From Mike's reply in post #5 below;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brett View Post
...I also managed to get the thin tube you get on a WD40 can under the dial and get a few drops on the shaft then laid it, dial down to let it soak into the back of the knob, it worked a treat.
it looks like he's successfully removed the dial by the advised cord/lace method, indicating he has an original TR82 model.

By the way, there was a thread from 2005 which discussed various methods of dial removal on these Bush models here, including the plunger method recommended by Bush themselves.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 14th Mar 2012 at 4:36 pm.
Old 14th Mar 2012, 4:27 pm   #12

On my VTR103 I simply kept pulling the dial off one side then 'tother by hand, it did take a while, about 15 miniutes. When I replaced it I slackened the spring a bit and put some silicone grease (don't use ordinary hydrocarbon stuff, it can affect plastic and sets like glue in a few years) on the the shaft. It has been suggested pullling the chassis out therefore supporting the knob all the way round.

Last edited by Guest; 14th Mar 2012 at 4:29 pm. Reason: added R to ype number

Old 14th Mar 2012, 8:57 pm   #13
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all
No this is an original model from the 1960s,given to me in cosmetically pretty good condition although it was not working. On giving it the once over I found the problems where a dirty wave change switch and a broken earphone socket, very simple really and now it sounds great.
Mike
Closed Thread