UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2012, 1:53 pm   #1
MCA1928
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig and cat urine.

Dear Gang,

I have a lovely 1956 Grundig 3028 3D sound, restored professionally 4 years ago. In the last few weeks, my partner's cat has decided to use it to urinate on, straight into the front screen.

Questions: Is it possible to restore? I'm afraid that turning it on will heat up the urine and make it much, much worse so it has not been used since the incident.

I don't suppose anyone has had this problem? If you did, how did you get the radio back?

Many thanks!

MCA
Old 15th Jan 2012, 3:18 pm   #2
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig and cat urine

Hi,

These radios have a selenium rectifier that smells, exactly, like cats urine when it's failing. Are your sure it has actually been hit with cats urine or does it just smell like it has?

David
Old 15th Jan 2012, 3:32 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Grundig and cat urine

Presumably you've already cleaned the exterior of the radio? Urine transforms into ammonia and this will cause cabinet damage, although if it's only happened once you've probably got away with it.

As it happened "in the last few weeks" the urine has most likely dried up by now. Any smell will eventually go of its own accord but I'd be inclined to remove the chassis and clean where any urine may have found its way inside the cabinet. Diluted disinfectant or a neutralising spray from a pet shop will do it. Having done that, ensure the radio is properly dry before applying power again.

DO NOT attempt to clean, or allow any liquid to get onto, the printed side of the tuning scale or allow any liquid onto the loudspeaker cones.
Old 15th Jan 2012, 3:32 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Grundig and cat urine.

If its a case of ridding yourself of the smell from the puddy-cat's work, try a bowl of vinegar left the case, and then mop out with a vinegar soaked sponge. Only, don't then use said vinegar on your 'Rock salmon' and chips!

Barry
Old 15th Jan 2012, 7:07 pm   #5
MCA1928
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, it is most definitely cat urine and several times as best I can tell. Thus far she has urinated on my 1840s cello, a lovely walnut Art Nouveau dresser and some antique stained glass....don't get me started on what I would like to do to her!

Anyway, the radio was being stored, unplugged, next to the afore-mentioed dresser for several weeks and I have just discovered the damage a few days ago. There is green corrosion spots all over the grille and the badge and it is fragrant if you get your nose to it.

I have not touched it other than to move it to a safe place and decided to turn to the more knowledgable people here before offering it on Freecycle.

Can one use one of the proprietary cat-urine cleaners? What should I wash the grille with? &c

So, advice please on how to get started or should I send it out to someone to redo it over again.

Thanks again for any advice!

MCA
Old 18th Jan 2012, 12:21 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

"Simple solution" available from pet stores has neutralising enzimes and will help greatly in reducing the smell. We have two dogs and my wife is a childminder so I can attest to this stuff's effectiveness on anything organic!
Old 18th Jan 2012, 12:30 pm   #7
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
It is really not the way to go just neutralising the smell, its important that the chemicals in urine are neutralised, for that its water! You will need to remove the chassis and all electrical parts and wash any effected parts. thoroughly dry the cabinet and reassemble.
Cats and vintage don't mix I am afraid!
Old 11th Feb 2012, 4:41 am   #8
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA1928 View Post
Thus far she has urinated on my 1840s cello, a lovely walnut Art Nouveau dresser and some antique stained glass....don't get me started on what I would like to do to her!
OK but what are you going to do to the cat?
Old 11th Feb 2012, 11:47 am   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

There's far too many feline fanciers on here for any serious discussion about that to go unmoderated!

Better stick to how to mitigate the effects rather than the cause
.........O..Chris....O
Old 11th Feb 2012, 9:56 pm   #10
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Actually, it would probably be best to concentrate on the cause to prevent a recurrence as well as dealing with the current problem, particularly as it is not only the radio (which, presumably, can be kept out of harm's way) which is a potential target!

I'm aware of un-neutered males spraying (and what a stink they make!) but not females so I consulted the resident expert (my wife) and she says that it is often related to stress or, sometimes, territorial invasion by other cats.

She mentioned something called Feliway http://www.feliway.com/gb.

Never having had cause to use it, I'm certainly not promoting the product here but I've included the link because it features a "cat stress risk barometer" which might be helpful in pinpointing problem areas. I would also endorse the suggestion the site makes to consult your vet for more information.

I note that un-neutered females are also more likely to spray. The mods would probably have a fit if I was to start pontificating over this, so suffice it to say that all cat charities (including the one my wife is involved with) and vets (that I've heard express an opinion) all sing from the same hymn sheet on this one!
Old 11th Feb 2012, 10:48 pm   #11
Peter.N.
Dekatron

We had a Siamese that used to wee in the toaster, you didn't find out until you went to use it and it then took a week to get rid of the smell. We eventually cured it by getting one that fixed to the wall (toaster not cat).

Peter
Old 11th Feb 2012, 11:02 pm   #12
murphyv310
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
There's far too many feline fanciers on here for any serious discussion about that to go unmoderated!

Better stick to how to mitigate the effects rather than the cause

Surely the mods wouldn't remove a post that gave sensible advice.
We don't have cats, both my wife and daughter have serious cat phobias and to cap it all my daughter can go into an asthma attack in a house that has a cat even though is not in the room she is in!
If I did have a cat I would make sure that it was not allowed near my collection, in other words the collection and cat could not cross paths, so if you want your prized items in the lounge or living area don't have a cat, likewise if you want the cat in the living area put your collection in a secure room!
Old 12th Feb 2012, 12:57 am   #13
Herald1360
Dekatron

'twas the question "What are you going to do to the cat?" that prompted my response. (My italics.)

I wasn't being at all sensible
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Feb 2012, 7:35 pm   #14
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Must admit reading this is making me feel slightly green. I had endless problems with cat urine in television receivers and VCR's. In most cases the equipment is a write off. I have seen large areas of print on printed circuit panels literally vanish! Very corrosive stuff and once they do it, very difficult to stop them. Suggest you put everything in the house or flat into plastic bags and only open when the coast is clear. Cheers, John.
Old 20th Feb 2012, 2:07 pm   #15
Red Studio
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Suggest you put everything in the house or flat into plastic bags and only open when the coast is clear. Cheers, John.
Sort of the reverse of letting the cat out of the bag

Sorry, I'll get my coat.
Mitch
Old 20th Feb 2012, 2:10 pm   #16
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Suggest you put everything in the house or flat into plastic bags and only open when the coast is clear. Cheers, John.
Wouldn't it be simpler to put the cat into a (very tough) bag?
Old 20th Feb 2012, 7:07 pm   #17
audiomagpie
Heptode

MCA has come here for our help, so I don't think we should be taking the xxxx!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 20th Feb 2012, 8:21 pm   #18
dallaslaff
Pentode

Hi, Marian, MCA1928, listed this radio on Birmingham Freecycle at the end of Jan. I responded to the listing, not realizing that it was the "Cat soiled" Grundig I'd read about on here earlier in the month. Marian responded to my offer of a new home by saying that she'd decided to keep the radio, but offered me the opportunity to restore it for her. I declined, as my speed of repair would not be suitable for her, but suggested she placed another post on here asking for a local repairer willing to take it on (I'd realized by now that she was MCA1928). It appears she has not returned to the forum since her initial posts on 15th Jan.
If anyone wants to offer her a repair service drop her a PM.
Les
Old 20th Feb 2012, 10:39 pm   #19
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

As this thread has now drifted way off topic it's time to put the cat out.