UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Mar 2008, 5:55 pm   #21
murphymad
Heptode

Default Re: radio identity crisis

I think the clue to the manufactuerer lies under the tuning knob at the bottom of the dial scale.
I would think that the knobs are not original.
Take a look!

Mike...
Old 31st Mar 2008, 6:57 pm   #22
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Yes Neil, it must be the same set. My son gave it to me when he visited the Bath Saturday market a few years ago. He saw it in the morning and was intrigued by the weird shape. As it was still there in the afternoon he bought it.
The internal arrangement certainly looks like an adaptation of something else as there is the empty valve holder hole under the speaker. The other arrangements for the vol control and wavechange switch look less like improvisations. I am not too sure that it was a remote for another set though as it is rather large ( about 30 cms long ). It is a pity about the hole in the top but I doubt whether I could do a repair so I have abandoned the thought. Perhaps a patch and then veneer the top might look acceptable but the history would be lost.

Mike, I think you are right about the knobs though perhaps the white locking knob may be original There seems to be no sign of an index mark on the tuning knob though it does have a keyed shaft. Perhaps originally the mechanism also had a cord driven dial. Under the plate around the tuning knob is the embossed name Weston.

From all the comments it seems that it is some relic of the lease-lend sets. The general arrangement of the tuning knob and condenser suggests it might even have been designed like that but the wave switch and volume control leave very little protruding shaft to fix the knobs. It seems a mixture of a modest set from a small manufacturer and kitchen table home build. I will certainly try to get it operating in a safe manner for interest but I can't see it warranting major restoration. Unless someone knows better.
Old 1st Apr 2008, 2:10 pm   #23
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Just had a go at a detail of the dial for completeness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000882_1.gif
Views:	74
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	16161  
Closed Thread