UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2015, 9:31 pm   #61
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Late 50s(?) domestic electrical distribution boards

Hi Most meters measure the current in the phase (live) conductor and the neutral is simply a link and low current connection to the voltage coil.
Done this way it will discourage anyone trying to shunt or bypass the current coil and reduce the electricity bill and they could get a severe shock.

Ed
Old 8th Apr 2015, 12:17 am   #62
hannahs radios
Hexode

Yes that's what I was trying to get across in my earlier post I don't think its a common arrangement just something the pocos do to save on a bit of wire
Old 8th Apr 2015, 12:33 am   #63
teetoon
Heptode

Re post 60,
Hi John, that Wylex probably dates from the late 60's and is not an RCD but an Earth Leakage Trip. It's also rated at 100ma so not up to modern regs.

David.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 6:46 am   #64
thermionic
Heptode

That is certainly an RCD. These Wylex RCDs first appeared in the mid 1970's and we're very good quality. This style was available into the 1990s.

You are correct identifying that its rated tripping current is 100mA, so in this situation where it is probably protecting 13 amp socket outlets, would not comply.

SimonT
Old 8th Apr 2015, 7:35 pm   #65
teetoon
Heptode

Oops. I missed the Current Operated bit there. I won't make the excuse that it was late, more a case of failing eyesight.

David.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 12:12 am   #66
McMurdo
Dekatron

100mA would be fitted to guard against a poor earth loop resistance or fire, a bit like a voltage operated ELCB. 30mA of course is the maximum for personal shock protection but wouldn't have been mandatory when that Wylex was installed.
When installing 3 phase with earth rod in the early 90's I used a T300mA RCD as the mains incomer and then local 30mA RCDs for all final circuits.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 9:10 am   #67
mole42uk
Nonode

That isn't an RCD - It's an ELCD (Earth Leakage) which is not current under the 17th Ed!

ELCD's this old are usually useless for their specified purpose as well, just try testing the trip time on one!!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop

Last edited by mole42uk; 9th Apr 2015 at 9:11 am. Reason: spelling
Old 9th Apr 2015, 9:42 am   #68
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

ELCDs often also fail to trip if there's a fortuitous additional low-resistance path from the earth of the domestic wiring to another well-earthed conductor. A good example being when you have an immersion-heater which someone has wired up using a 13-amp plug plugged into an ELCB-protected ring-main socket, as I discovered some years back.

ELCBs also don't play well with amateur radio RF earth connections.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 7:42 pm   #69
McMurdo
Dekatron

I think RCD and current-operated earth leakage circuit breaker are names for the same thing