UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2012, 10:38 pm   #1
colinhol
Retired Dormant Member

Post Bush TR82D Refurbishment

I have refurbished a nice Bush TR82D, the only thing that lets it down is the cloudy tuning dial. I also own the reissue TR82 and the dial is almost identical apart from the boss. Has anyone tried to alter one to fit? I think, looking at it, I could remove the boss from the original and drill and refit to the new dial?
Old 26th Jan 2012, 12:29 am   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TR82D Refurbishment

Have you tried rubbing the old dial with either T-cut or Farecla rubbing compound?
You can also get RS aerosol polish for plastics that removes clouding
Old 26th Jan 2012, 2:25 am   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

The 'clouding' seen on the clear plastic dials of the MB60/TR82/VTR103 series is usually down to a chemical reaction due to exposure to sunlight (UV). A similar reaction takes place with the pigments used in the blue/green cased models (TR82C, etc) which then take on a more olive green appearance as a result.

Usually very little can be done to reverse this effect as the reaction tends to go deeper than just the surface layers. Various cleaning/polishing products may give a minor improvement and from that point of view are worth a try. Using 'Brasso' is as good as anything for this purpose.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 26th Jan 2012 at 2:35 am.
Old 26th Jan 2012, 4:53 pm   #4
colinhol
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Bush TR82D Refurbishment

Thank you .I used brasso on the dial when I had the radio stripped down and it did improve things, I will give t cut a go as well , but I think as you say its beyond total repair...

Thank you. I used Brasso on the dial when I had the radio stripped down and it did improve things. I will give T-cut a go as well but I think, as you say, it's beyond total repair.
Old 31st Jan 2012, 7:16 pm   #5
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Even if Brasso removes the original problem it will probably be too coarse which will replace one problem with another with similar results!

If so, try Silvo, which is a much less abrasive cleaner. We used to use it on very stubborn switches years ago. You'll know what I mean if you've worked in a predominately industrial area - tarnish that no switch cleaner known to man will remove!

Brasso removes the silver plating virtually instantly, leaving just a brass contact. Silvo, though, really does the trick!

With a turret or fireball tuner, the polish is easy to buff off with a soft cloth but a lot of our sets were Bush, with slider band switches. We found that the (tail) end of a matchstick made an ideal applicator to the moving contact, then used to flush the residue off with RS switch cleaner and, after that had evaporated, add a dose of Electrolube for a long lasting solution.

If Silvo still isn't fine enough, see if you can find some jeweller's rouge.

Ah! I've just remember something! We used to use Windolene on TR82 cabinets, cleaned off any amount of dirt and brought up a beautiful shine!

Now, I believe that the basic constituents of Windolene used to be white spirit and jeweller's rouge! I don't think you can get the pink stuff any more but possibly someone's own brand still uses something similar?

Last edited by terrykc; 31st Jan 2012 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Added reference to Windowlene
Old 31st Jan 2012, 7:48 pm   #6
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrykc View Post
Even if Brasso removes the original problem it will probably be too coarse which will replace one problem with another with similar results!
The problem we are talking about here is not one of polishing out a scratched dial surface, but a light yellow/brown haze caused due to a chemical reaction in the plastic as a result of exposure to sunlight.

It goes much deeper than just the surface layers, hence my suggestion to use Brasso instead of something of a finer grade which wouldn't penetrate deep enough to be helpful. Perhaps the use of Silvo or similar afterwards.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 31st Jan 2012 at 7:53 pm.
Old 31st Jan 2012, 8:42 pm   #7
terrykc
Rest in Peace

I'm well aware of that, Robert!

What I was addressing was how to restore the damage that the Brasso treatment will undoubtedly cause!

Just because a plane will level a piece of wood doesn't mean that you won't need to sand it down afterwards!
Old 31st Jan 2012, 9:16 pm   #8
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Thinking more about this, not only is it likely to be a multi-stage process, but there is another problem - keeping the pressure even over the entire surface to avoid the formation of (highly polished!) hills and vales!

How about mounting the dial 'glass' on a length of 1/4" spindle so that it can be spun (slowly) in an electric drill at constant pressure against a suitable pad? I'm assuming here that the damage is restricted to the outside surface but possibly some adaptation could be made if both surfaces need treating?
Old 4th Feb 2012, 9:19 pm   #9
rovereab
Tetrode

I wonder if the products that deal with perspex cabriolet rear windows can help. I have recently used the Meguiar's Plast-RX on my car and it worked well. The product description mentions use on perspex headlamp surfaces too.

Eamonn

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/225/Plast-RX/

Last edited by rovereab; 4th Feb 2012 at 9:26 pm.
Closed Thread