UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2008, 3:10 pm   #1
DaveDee
Retired Dormant Member

Default Columbia C303

I have a Columbia Radio, rescued from a friend consigning it to a skip during a house move.
It is a Model C 303, Ser.#34178.
The cabinet is in good condition, the only thing obviously wrong is the drive cord is detached from the cursor.
The set has LW, MW, and SW.
909 to 2143 m, 183 to 577m, and 16.5 to 51.72m.
I would like to get it working, there is no output, apart from some noise, it has a 'Gram' input on the back, but I see no way of finding out if the Audio part works, the Band Change switch has three positions, presumably LW, MW, SW. so how do I get the Gram input to operate ?
Any Ideas?
I have seen some CD-Roms for Columbia sets But C 303 does not get a mention.

Ever Hopeful Dave D.
Old 5th Apr 2008, 12:12 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Columbia C303

Hi Dave,

A photo of the radio would be a help, as would knowing its line-up. Can you provide these for us? Problem is, there was a prewar model 303 (although I think this was a battery job) so I'm assuming the C303 was a postwar release.

Columbia eventually merged with HMV and thus EMI was formed. As a result, Columbia radios used HMV/Marconi chassis (Columbia never made their own chassis; Plessey being the supplier at least until EMI days). You may well therefore find your radio has an equivalent HMV/Marconi chassis, for which service data will be much easier to obtain. As said above though, knowing the date of your radio and its line-up is important in this respect.

I'm curious about the wavelengths you've quoted for LW; this suggests to me the C303 might be prewar or immediate postwar ie 1946 - 1949 or thereabouts.

Regarding the tuning drivecord, Paul Stenning has service data which - according to his lists - contains drivecord information, only, for these radios. I don't know if it includes the C303 though. Click the link at top right of page.

It's possible you may be getting nothing but 'noise' from the radio because it needs an external aerial. I can't say for certain, not being familiar with this model.

The 'Gram' sockets were intended for an add-on record deck. Such decks were common at one time (there's plenty still around too) and were specifically made for this purpose. They were literally just a record deck which operated via the radio amplifier - the whole ensemble being once derided as the "poor mans radiogram". You can connect a CD player, or whatever, to these sockets. For a long time I even played music from my PC through the Gram sockets of a valved radio. There are, however, safety precautions which should be borne in mind if attempting this. If this becomes a point of debate, a new thread in a more relevant section maybe appropriate.

Before I stop waffling, I take it you're familiar with all the general safety issues concerning these old radios? also the virtually routine task of getting rid of the manky old wax caps on the chassis? Aerial issues aside, this could also be the cause of nothing but 'noise' at the 'speaker.
Old 6th Apr 2008, 2:00 pm   #3
DaveDee
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Darren

Tks for the reply. Valve line-up is : 7S7 7H7 7Y4 7C6 7C5.

The Frequency coverage details are taken from the front glass plate, [ I am sure it has a correct name but I'm not aware of it ].

As a bit of background, I'm 63, was a Ground Wireless Fitter in the RAF, used to make all sorts of electronic gizmos, like Mullard 5-20 Amps, 5-10's and the 2-valve pre amps. and HAC one valve Rxrs. This was in the 60's, when we had all the shops like Henrys and [ G W Smith (?)] and the like near Edgware Rd. I was stationed in N. London. Since I retired I fool about with Steam Engines, etc. [ models anyway ], and making M/cycle bits . I just seemed a shame to see an old radio slung out, maybe I should not mention this on these pages, but about 1964 I dumped a working HRO with the the 'apparently' much cherished Bandspread Coil Packs. !
So, a bit of atonement for previous sins maybe.
I don't know too much about restoring old sets, I seem to remember from somewhere that any capacitor made by Hunts is bad news, and I guess wax capacitors are in the same category.
I have the gear to have a go at it. AVO, 2 Scopes, A Leader RF Sig. Gen. , and a 3Mhz Function Gen. and a load of components. No means of Valve testing though. So, if it don't get fixed it's me at fault!
I see you live in Blackpool, what happened to Chevet?
When I pulled the set from the skip I thought I was home and dry, then no answer!
Old 6th Apr 2008, 4:05 pm   #4
DaveDee
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Darren
Last post got truncated.
Got some pics but they exceed the attachment limits-- circa 11Mb !
Will try to get some in lower resolution but camera needs to charge up.
Not used it for about a year.
Thanks again
Dave D.
Old 6th Apr 2008, 5:38 pm   #5
DaveDee
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Darren again

Managed to get the camera to do images in low resolution.
Must read the instructions one day

Dave D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia C303 back.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	16284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia C303 Front.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	16285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia C303 Lft.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	16286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia C303 Rh.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	16287  
Old 7th Apr 2008, 12:10 am   #6
music-centre
Heptode

hi,
the radio has rather a similar look to the marconiphone T38A i thought ? - especially the chassis and the spacing of the 4 controls - different numbered valve line up though - they possibly look to be the same type ( B8G base was it?)
regards,
steve.

Last edited by music-centre; 7th Apr 2008 at 12:14 am. Reason: added a bit
Old 7th Apr 2008, 10:30 am   #7
DaveDee
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Steve
I don't know what a T38A looks like, I'm very new to this sort of thing.
Have managed to get valve 'pin-out' data from another site, which does describe the base as Loctal-8 or B8G.
Some time ago I had some bits from Chevet, not to do with Old Radio Gear, but noted some relevant stuff they had. So, when I grabbed the set from it's fate I assumed I would be able to get it going with not too much effort. Wrong again !!
regards
Dave D.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 1:04 pm   #8
Station X

You'll find a picture of a T38A in this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=24569

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread