UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2007, 9:44 pm   #141
DoctorWho
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Auroras back in stock

Actually you can have great fun along these lines. I combine UHF and VHF signals using an aerial distribution amplifier and send 405 and 625 all around the house, by using a coupler you can feed in say BBC1 on Channel 1 and ITV on Channel 9 and you have the original London set-up.

I'd do this myself, but since all of my sets are single channel Alexandra Palace only (and one for the Midlands) having ITV on Channel 9 would be useless to me.

Sounds like a great set-up though.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 4:23 pm   #142
Tazman1966
Nonode

...and another happy customer.

My Aurora arrived today only slightly over a week from ordering it - very speedy if you ask me! The HM Revenue & Customs' cut was £35.65, the highest so far I think.

What a great bit of kit it is as well. It really is the "mutt's nuts"! I know that I don't have to convert (excuse the crap joke) those forum members that are running 405 line only sets to use one of these, but those that have dual standard sets that are operating only on 625 lines I would urge you get one of these and let the telly use its other aerial socket.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 23" Philips Style 70 operating on channel 5 which takes me back to my childhood as Wenvoe on channel 5 was our main transmitter (BBC1 West).

Now to try out the Ultra (Thorn 1400)

Cheers!

PS: The strange patterning on the pictures is not there in real life and disappears if when you open the attachements and then hover your mouse over the bottom right hand corner of the pictures an orange box appears and if you click on that it makes the picture bigger and the patterning completely goes. Does anyone know why?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4663.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	10928   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4664.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	10929   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4665.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	10930   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4666.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	10931  
Old 17th Jul 2007, 4:41 pm   #143
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Congratulations on getting your Aurora. HMG's petty larceny of £35.65 is not quite the worst so far. I'm sure somebody got done for almost £40. At the present £/$ rate the basic price is even more of a bargain. I looked at the Aurora website the other day and they are out of stock. Does that mean Darryl has now sold 200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966;127320PS:
The strange patterning on the pictures is not there in real life and disappears if when you open the attachements and then hover your mouse over the bottom right hand corner of the pictures an orange box appears and if you click on that it makes the picture bigger and the patterning completely goes. Does anyone know why?
It's down to Windows resizing the pictures. I didn't see any patterning until I reduced the size of the window. The orange button enlarges the image, but only if windows has shrunk it to fit the window.
Old 17th Jul 2007, 7:00 pm   #144
tubesrule
Hexode

Tas' unit was #165 including the handful of 30/32 and 405 NTSC converters that have been built. I have 35 more pcb's from the original 200 piece's, and have ordered the remaining parts to finish them. I would expect them to be ready sometime in mid-late August.

Darryl
Old 17th Jul 2007, 11:37 pm   #145
Panrock
Nonode

Then please hold another one in reserve for me! I've just collected a TV22 from a pub in Dorking, Surrey - they want vintage television 'on tap' to entertain customers at the bar.

Your excellent, keenly-priced converter is really feeding the popularity of vintage tv over here.

Steve
Old 18th Jul 2007, 12:37 am   #146
tubesrule
Hexode

Will do Steve. Glad they're going over well, and what a fantastic idea to have a TV22 at an old pub. This should certainly add to the conversation!

Darryl
Old 19th Jul 2007, 4:14 pm   #147
bobsterkent
Hexode

Any chance of letting us know where the pub is when its done, then we can all go!
Old 19th Jul 2007, 6:30 pm   #148
Panrock
Nonode

I'm sure it will be. Currently this pub is undergoing renovations and it should all be done by the autumn.

Steve