UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2020, 10:52 am   #1
ChrisON
Diode

Default Some old radios - salvageable?

Good morning All.

While clearing out the loft at my in-laws recently we found several old radios and a few caught my eye.

1) A Dynatron Nomad Deluxe

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad_01.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	218340 Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad_02.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	218341

2) A Pye Q3 (I think).

Name:	Pye_Q3_01.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	218342 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye_Q3_02.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	218343

Both are in very poor condition after about 40 years in the loft. The Pye looks like the battery or a capacitor has leaked; l've not managed to get it out of its case yet. The Nomad is looking very battered.

My partner remembers them as belonging to her grandfather who she was very close to and would like to keep them. Perhaps a bit foolishly l said I'd see what l could do to restore them - even if it's only a cosmetic restore rather than to working condition. While looking online for information about them l fould this rather splendid forum.

I'm new to this so I'm looking for a bit of advice. I know some basic (very) electronics so wouldn't attempt anything complicated.

I guess the 1st question is: are they salvageable? The Pye in particular looks (to me) a bit beyond redemption.

Also found a Grundig yacht-boy (no model justs says yacht-boy on the front) and an ITT Euro Marine.

Thanks

Chris
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:38 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Some old radios - salvageable?

Welcome to the group and yes most likely restorable.Certainly seen worse sets restored.
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:52 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

The Dynatron looks in good condition internally and would probably just work though the red/yellow/black electrolytic capacitors will probably be well past their best. Service data here: https://www.service-data.com/product...28/1887/t11328

The Pye set is earlier maybe even late '50s from its nod to the attached case style of valve portable sets and could certainly be restored though its internal condition may make that harder. Depends a lot on where the battery has leaked! Service data here: https://www.service-data.com/section.php/6719/1/m15223

Plenty of advice available here if you decide to have a go!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:59 am   #4
paulsherwin

People here have restored much worse than that!

How you proceed depends on your interests. You could learn the skills to restore these radios yourself, but there will be a steep learning curve and it's only worth doing if you find it enjoyable in itself. Given the sentimental value it may be better to pay a professional to restore them for you.
Old 19th Oct 2020, 1:00 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The Dynatron may well just work if you fit the right kind of batteries. If not, it's unlikely to need anything very complex doing.

Bear in mind that they won't receive FM or DAB though, so your choice of listening will be limited. Fine for Radio 4 Longwave or 5 Live etc. though.
Old 19th Oct 2020, 2:15 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. I think you are right with the Pye Q3 it is a transistor set, here is mine. There are not many without a cracked handle. If you slacken the screw in middle rear of set you can lift the innards vertical then lift the metalwork towards the handle it should lift clear of the wood case. Please take care, the grey coloured rod is very brittle as are the transistors, I have taken photo they are the metal cans on red green and black legs, the slightest movement and one of the three wires will snap near the base of the transistors. Your Pye was one of the earliest transistor sets made its from the late 1950s. As others have said worth getting the service info from top right of this page £1.99.

John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SN854373 (1).jpg
Views:	125
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	218349   Click image for larger version

Name:	SN854374.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	218350  
Old 19th Oct 2020, 4:39 pm   #7
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Chris

Yes indeed welcome to our wonderful forum, here you will find an excellent and well versed selection of members who have been in the trade and there are others who have not had much experience of radio and television but as time has gone on they have also picked up the techniques and tips on restoring wireless sets. We are all here to help so please do not be afraid to ask. As for the sets, you can obtain the circuit diagram by clicking on the top right of this page. You will find it very rewarding to restore and repair these, take your time, always ask if you get stuck.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 19th Oct 2020, 7:53 pm   #8
ChrisON
Diode

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

I've opened up the Pye Q3 and it's not as bad as l feared - something has leaked although the battery actually doesn't look too bad externally given its age.

Name:	Pye_Q3_03.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	218367

Paul Sherwin - yes, l had thought about having it done professionally if the cost isn't too prohibitive. Certainly worth investigating.

I can certainly start some clean up and see how it looks after that.

Chris
Closed Thread