UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2020, 4:54 pm   #541
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Mazda Christmas lights

A safe way to find a faulty bulb is one of those non-contact voltsticks: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VD01-NON-...dmIWC&LH_BIN=1
Just run it down the string until the indicator goes out.
Old 19th Oct 2020, 5:29 pm   #542
The Philpott
Dekatron

Couple of observations:

-Non-contact voltsticks 'voltpens' or similar are particularly useful for single insulated wires like this as the live is less able to hide behind the neutral and create what we call a false negative. On ordinary double insulated mains flex more caution is required.

-The little (ten quid?) blue/grey multimeters from LAP/Screwfix. Reviews of this are variable, mainly since a few of them suffer bad connection where the test leads go into the meter. This should be checked for by shorting the test leads together with the meter on a resistance range and jiggling the wires to check for consistency.
I recently tested two (new) meters of this type, straight out of the box. One was fine, the other one was indeed faulty. The faulty one got binned and the customer who bought the good one ended up with a spare set of test leads!

Dave
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:29 pm   #543
Refugee
Dekatron

I have found that the live wire needs to go to the closest bulb to the plug otherwise you have to run the twisted pair over the tester and look at it going on and off as you go.
A sensitive volt meter set to mv range will also work like a volt stick if you touch the other probe on a reasonable earth.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 11:40 am   #544
Padstowboy
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
While this would be an easy repair/restoration job for someone with the right skills, it involves mains electricity so you should take care to stay within your level of competence. If you're not certain you know what you're doing, you should accept one of the repair offers in this thread.
I am talking with an electrician who was curious about them, thanks for the advice. I am also considering some of the offers here if my electrician chap can't help.

I was wanting to remove the Edison screw threads from the holder to test the wire connections, and wasn't sure how to remove them without breaking the holder.

I have found an additional string of 12 lights and was thinking of adding some of these as suggested in a previous post.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 1:32 pm   #545
broadgage
Nonode

Yes there is a lot to be said for connecting extra lamps in series. Some people connect two whole sets in series, that is 24 lamps instead of the intended 12 lamps.
That in my view makes the lamps too dim. I would prefer just two or three extra lamps in series, for a total of 14 or 15.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 2:49 pm   #546
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Replacing all the bulbs with MES E10 24 Volt lorry bulbs would probably be
about right - and these bulbs are not expensive if bought in quantity.

Do replace all of them as should keep all the bulbs the same.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 6:36 pm   #547
Brigham
Octode

I used to use MES 24 volt automotive bulbs, lightly sprayed with whatever car colour was in the spraygun at the time.
You had to be careful handling them when lit. The globe was small, and you could brush against the top of the brass cap when you were putting them in.
Old 21st Oct 2020, 7:53 pm   #548
broadgage
Nonode

I too have used 24 volt vehicle lamps. In MOST circumstances I would consider such lamps to be inferior as regards both safety and appearance.
In this particular case the vintage lighting set has decorative glass shades, and clear glass bulbs will look fine. And also reduces the chances of accidental contact.
The original lamps were sometimes clear in sets with shades.
These 24 volt lamps are indeed cheap in bulk, make certain that they are all of the same wattage.
I would not add any extra lamps in series if using 24 volt vehicle bulbs. They are already significantly under run. (by convention these vehicle bulbs are called 24 volt, but are actually designed for about 28 volts, that being the voltage present when the vehicle engine is running and the battery is on charge.)
Old 21st Oct 2020, 11:05 pm   #549
McMurdo
Dekatron

You can get bulbs rated 2W 24-30V in the tubular style here:

https://www.rapidonline.com/barthelm...8mm-2w-57-6562

The tubular glass enables a piece of sleeving or small rubber pipe to slip over when inserting or removing them, useful in deep shades or holders.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 6:20 pm   #550
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

I've rooted mine out of the wardrobe to adorn my little home office. Of course despite them being sat in a box in the wardrobe two of the lamps had unscrewed themselves a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5334DEAB-B3DF-43FF-A01B-156122852EEE.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	219103  
Old 28th Oct 2020, 7:48 pm   #551
The Philpott
Dekatron

- If you think MES unscrew themselves, try the extra small pifco ES!
Old 28th Oct 2020, 8:59 pm   #552
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Theyre up . Looking cosy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E3429702-F0C3-4A76-AF11-FF9DCA17B9EE.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	219110  
Old 29th Oct 2020, 11:13 am   #553
G6ONEDave
Octode

My parents used to have a set like those but they had silver foil star shapes that had an insulated hole where the light bulbs went through before being screwed into the holders. Thanks for the pleasant reminder.
Dave
Old 30th Oct 2020, 8:17 am   #554
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
My parents used to have a set like those but they had silver foil star shapes that had an insulated hole where the light bulbs went through before being screwed into the holders.....
Dave
I remember a set of 12 from my youth too Dave. The lamps on my set were not spray painted like the Mazda lamps, but lacquered. Were yours the same?

Great memories..

Simon.
Old 30th Oct 2020, 11:02 am   #555
G6ONEDave
Octode

Hi Simon, yes we had some laquered glass versions but also some painted ones, probably due to faulty ones being replaced over the years. I can't remember if it was a 12 or 20 bulb set though. The tree used to stand in the hall downstaiars and the supply cable was laid under a rug, so as to avoid tripping up on it, as the wall socket was about 5ft away from the tree.
Dave
Old 6th Nov 2020, 12:50 am   #556
Herald1360
Dekatron

I've got this set to fix plus another string with no bulbs at all. Luckily the actual strings are well made with PVC insulated wire in good condition. The loose bulb holder inserts have all been successfully pushed back into place where their serrated top edges seem to grip the plastic outer holder quite firmly.

A set of 24 V tubular MES bulbs has been installed in one string and works well. As suggested, I think these should be used with the outer shades of the Disney set since the top of the bulbs' threaded base is visible above the outer plastic part of the holders even with the metal sockets pushed in as far as they will go.

The other string has been wired into the 13A plug with a series diode in the neutral side up inside the plug. There were 7 working old type coloured bulbs with the set, I'm waiting for a six-pack of "olive" style coloured bulbs to arrive to complete the string.

Both 13A plugs now have 1A fuses fitted, plenty big enough for the 150mA or less string currents involved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201105_234832.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	219756  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Nov 2020, 2:09 pm   #557
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Christmas Tree lights

As we're now within striking distance of Christmas, this thread merged with the perennial tome.
Old 6th Nov 2020, 8:00 pm   #558
Herald1360
Dekatron

The Mazda Vintage Christmas Lights cont'd....

Spare olive type bulbs arrived today and fitted to second string. All working well and both sets on their way home for Christmas.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Nov 2020, 10:49 am   #559
Padstowboy
Diode

Thanks for fixing them.
I will post a picture with the shades attached
Old 11th Nov 2020, 10:39 am   #560
Padstowboy
Diode

Here are some pictures of the Disney lights all working, again many thanks to Herald 1360 for getting them working again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	220099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	220100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0867.jpg
Views:	112