UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2020, 9:16 pm   #1
hawkman
Diode

Default Sony FH-7 13-pin cable question

Hi,

I recently bought a Sony FH-7 MK II that I was originally going to use the APM woofers from to fix my FH-15R, but I've since come across and bought the APM-158's for the FH-15R. So I've now got two great pieces of 80s tech gear... and one difficult problem.

I bought the FH7 with full knowledge that it was missing the 13 pin cable which links three components. The later FH units only had one cable to each component, coming from the amp, but this has two connectors to each. I imagine the unique battery/AC configuration of the FH7 had something to do with this design choice.

Since I'm now the keeper of this lovely device, I need to find a way to build a compatible cable or acquire a replacement.

According to the service manual, the part number is 1-557-310-11 (old) which corresponds to 1-556-477-00 (new), called "Cable,(13p)st,ta,ac". Given the age, it is unlikely that I'll ever find any NOS but one can hope - I have searched with no luck so far.

Questions:
  • If I were to try to make my own cable, what kind of connector and ribbon cable should I use?
  • Would anyone have such a cable that I could purchase?

Thanks. Looking forward to getting the FH-7 MKII working again!
Old 20th Oct 2020, 10:27 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Sony FH-7 13-pin cable question

Shame you didn’t ask about this a few months back! There was one on eBay, but it was nearly £20...

These are great little machines, and personally I think the FH-7 is a better machine than the FH-15R, I have both! Well, several.. and most are in use! If your foam has rotted on your FH-15 woofers there are replacements available, I replaced the foam on one of mine, and it’s quite easy to do.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 21st Oct 2020, 12:04 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

The service manual is available online from various sources, Elektrotanya being one. It's a monster tome but the connections between the units can be found in the various circuit diagrams which might help with creative bodgery......

13 ways is an odd number for a ribbon cable, are the connectors different from the usual two row 0.1" spaced items? Some good pictures of the mating halves on the backs of the units would help.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Oct 2020, 12:32 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

Maybe something like this from RS or a modified IDE PC drive cable could be used?
Old 21st Oct 2020, 12:43 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

These connectors look like a Sony special, it looks like a plastic D connector with only 1 row of pins.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 21st Oct 2020, 6:18 pm   #6
dglcomp
Heptode

I believe Sansui used the same connectors on some of their kit, looking online at pictures of the FH-7 the connectors look the same as ones on an old Sansui partially integrated system (cassette+amp in one unit, radio and phonograph were specific and powered by the main unit with the CD player being independent but with a socket for the ribbon cable for control purposes) I had.

See, https://i.servimg.com/u/f88/13/48/14/85/img_0453.jpg
https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/20...dd07710a3c.jpg

so other companies did use them, probably from a Japanese manufacturer so I would start looking at Japanese connector manufacturers (Omron, Hirose Etc.)

Last edited by dglcomp; 21st Oct 2020 at 6:24 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2021, 7:27 pm   #7
hawkman
Diode

Thanks for everyone's replies to this - I must have missed the notifications. I managed to find the cables on eBay which, despite being expensive solved the problem.

I'm now on the hunt to try to fix the tape deck, see my other post...
Closed Thread