UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2020, 11:41 pm   #1
space_charged
Hexode

Default Dawe Stroboflash 1209D

I've come by a Dawe Stroboflash type 1209d. It was sold as "working" and I have yet to check it out.

I seem to remember these being used at school in Physics. Does anyone know anything about these? In particular I'd like the service manual for it.
Old 17th Oct 2020, 6:31 pm   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: Dawe Stroboflash 1209D

So would I but I never found one (similar model number).
You can see my notes on mine with circuit that I deduced on my web site http://air-ministry.uk
Old 19th Oct 2020, 6:01 pm   #3
space_charged
Hexode

Thanks GMB. I found your web page earlier doing a search for my stroboscope!

Here is a photo of mine.

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stroboscope.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	218358  
Old 19th Feb 2021, 8:06 pm   #4
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by space_charged View Post
I've come by a Dawe Stroboflash type 1209d. It was sold as "working" and I have yet to check it out.

I seem to remember these being used at school in Physics. Does anyone know anything about these? In particular I'd like the service manual for it.
I joined the forum to comment on this post from last year.

I have a small collection of these stroboflashes (1209B, 1209C and 1221A) and am very interested in any information people can share about these. I would also be happy to share information if it was still of interest.
I have never seen a circuit diagram for the transistor models. I do have a user guide for the 1221A.
The ones I have seem quite accurate (no doubt due to the ability to calibrate from the mains frequency). It can be hard to check the rate externally for the B/C models using a frequency counter due to what are noisy high-voltage pulses. The 1221A has a digital display and outputs TTL pulses so a lot easier to work with.
I want to bulid a small display that responds to the flashes and will output the rate in rpm.

I am a bit nervous of opening mine to inspect and photograph them. I know a little about electronics but worry that there will be capacitors inside charged to high voltage, no doubt this is pretty normal for others on this forum. So any advice on that would be appreciated.

Last edited by Station X; 19th Feb 2021 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Closed Thread