UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2020, 1:10 am   #1
cernem1alt
Tetrode

Default Eddystone 740 waveband switch ID?

****************/GfwQNmk

Is this a 4 position 1 pole switch in the Eddystone 740?

thanks Mike M1ALT
Old 10th Oct 2020, 1:58 am   #2
cernem1alt
Tetrode

Default Re: Eddystone 740 waveband switch ID?

I can answer my own question but throw up another, it is not that simple of style switch it is part of a long brass shaft which runs through the band trimming under a removable grey plate, now the switch is more in view it is not a simple replacing switch, which makes me go back to what I first thought when I opened the case on initial inspection I found two ball bearings loose inside obviously from this switch which clicked it in place. I presume two ball bearings as this is what I found inside am I correct in thinking they somehow fit under the grey silver bit in the photo on the rotor of the switch if so it could be possible to slot two new ones back in?? finally which others and I have experienced the one big gripe I have against Eddystone is again on this model the four impossible brass screws used to fix the panel to the chassis...I won't even try

Last edited by cernem1alt; 10th Oct 2020 at 2:03 am. Reason: adding information
Old 10th Oct 2020, 6:39 am   #3
john.north
Pentode

Hello,
The ball bearings fit under the dark ring at the back of the switch mounting. There are two holes at 180 degrees to keep them captive. The ring is spring steel, this may have cracked and the bearings have fallen out or something has dislodged one and once one has gone there is not enough spring to keep the other in place. Hope that makes sense.
John.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 7:24 am   #4
Station X

You are correct. Faced with a similar problem when repairing a KW Vanguard I was able to replace the indexing part of the switch with parts from a similar switch having a different contact configuration.

I may have a spare indexing part somewhere. I'll have a look later.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Oct 2020, 7:40 am   #5
cernem1alt
Tetrode

Thanks to all who posted I found a pdf on the Eddystone User Group all about switches and their construction, indeed what has been said here about the ball bearings is quite correct, not knowing the history of the set one can only surmise what happened but a good guess would be the band switch was forced at some point so someone went to replace the switch found it more complicated than they were able and in doing so got one grub screw stuck in the knob (another pain!!) and lost the other grub screw and replaced with the wrong size and that would not work either, I have since got one of the two old grub screws out, they then got fed up and boxed it away in the loft, I would guess around 1983 as I found an invoice with it of that year so ball bearings it is for now anyhow.....
Old 10th Oct 2020, 3:49 pm   #6
Station X

I've found two switches both AB type H. They have an adjustable stop so you can set the number of positions.

On one the black bit, which I'll call the ball carrier has cracked right across the ball hole. The other has the ball carrier intact.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Oct 2020, 6:49 am   #7
cernem1alt
Tetrode

I manged to fit two 3/16 ball bearings and it seems to have done the trick the plate which held them in was ok with no cracks though getting to the shaft was fiddly but a satisfying job
Old 18th Oct 2020, 2:18 pm   #8
vinrads
Dekatron

I would give them a spot of grease this will help stop them climbing out again , Mick.
Closed Thread