UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2021, 1:02 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default "Electronics in Action" magazines

"Electronics in Action" magazine was edited by Paul Freeman-Sear and published by Quantum House Publishing Ltd. The first issue was dated October 1993 and the final issue was dated July 1994. There was no mention of the publication ending in the final issue, however there was unusually no adverts for articles in the next issue.

I believe Paul Freeman-Sear previously edited "ETI" and went on to edit "Electronics - The Maplin Magazine".

I have scanned all 10 in their entirety including adverts etc., and added them to my Vintage Radio Info website here https://www.vintage-radio.info/eia.

I have also offered the scans to https://worldradiohistory.com/ to add to their extensive archive. I will post here if/when they are added.

Due to their rarity, the original magazines will be stored in the BVWS archive.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Jan 2021, 2:46 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: "Electronics in Action" magazines

Thank you Paul.

Some of the articles don't interest me, but many do. Ideal bedtime reading. And nice to see some ads from when I first started to buy electronic components, thanks for leaving them in.

And I've already found one written by you!

N.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 2:47 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Even now, scanning them, I struggle to work out what the target audience was. Seemed to be trying to cover a bit of everything. Some features clearly aimed at business readers which doesn't fit with a newsagent magazine for example.

You'll find lots written by me, at least one in each issue (a couple under a pen name). That's how I came to have all the issues (a complete set is probably very rare now).

World Radio History have confirmed they will be added there in the next week or so.

Paul Stenning
Old 12th Jan 2021, 3:02 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
Even now, scanning them, I struggle to work out what the target audience was. Seemed to be trying to cover a bit of everything. Some features clearly aimed at business readers which doesn't fit with a newsagent magazine for example.
It reminds me of the later issues of Television magazine... just before it folded.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 4:47 pm   #5
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks Paul, I look forward to having a look through those mags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
It reminds me of the later issues of Television magazine... just before it folded.
Yes, I agree Nick. I payed for a 12 month subscription starting January 2008 but the business sadly folded. I received January to June issues only. I seem to remember there was a blank period possibly around 2006/2007 before it started again in 2008 albeit for only six months.

Regards,
Symon
Old 12th Jan 2021, 8:31 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I can confirm that the only issue of Practical Television in 2007 was January. This was followed by a last gasp (under new management, I believe) from January to June 2008. It then folded permanently. Prior to that it was published every month from April 1950 to December 2006 with just six gaps: November 1950, March/April 1956, August/September 1959 and December 1970.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 8:38 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Talking about rare publications, has anyone ever seen "Murphy News" a friend was asking. I have no idea how many issues were printed but it would be nice to have them on here for all to enjoy.

John.
Old 12th Jan 2021, 10:19 pm   #8
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I can confirm that the only issue of Practical Television in 2007 was January.
Thanks for the info Dave. I started buying Television around 1980 and had all issues up to about 2005. I subsequently obtained all issues back to 1959 and most issues for 2006. I will look out for a copy of the January 2007 issue but that might not be easy to find.

Regards,
Symon
Old 12th Jan 2021, 11:47 pm   #9
Cobaltblue

I think we would all like to thank Paul for making another rare resource available but as the thread has drifted Off Topic its time like the publication itself to close.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Jan 2021, 4:20 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Now added to World Radio History here https://worldradiohistory.com/Electr...-Action-UK.htm

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread